Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a laptop - emachines M5116. I have three OSs on this - hda 1 = windows XP (NTFS), hda 5 = Mandrake 10 (ext3), hda 6 = ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual booting multiple linuxes

Hello,

I have a laptop - emachines M5116. I have three OSs on this - hda 1 = windows XP (NTFS), hda 5 = Mandrake 10 (ext3), hda 6 = SuSE 8.2 (ReiserFS). I can dual boot Mandrake and Windows, but cannot get the LILO to set SuSE as an option in the boot loading list - error message is 1st sector of hda6 doesn't have a valid signature.

I have tried switching to GRUB. This will let me set SuSE as an option but when I try to boot SuSE I get an error - invalid or unsupported executable format.

Can anyone tell me why Mandrake does not like SuSE and can I fix it?

Donald

I vaguely remember something about needing a separate /boot partiition in either etx2 or ext3 when you want to use reiserfs. Do you have such a setup?

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Not that I know of. Mind you, how could I find out, and how could I create one if not?

I'm not that good at the nuts and bolts of computing!

Don

As to how would you know, try using Mandrake's control center, or whatever they call it in that distro, and have a look at your hard disks. If you haven't got a separate /boot partition then try re-installing SUSE with separate /boot partition using ext2 as the filesystem.

So you'll end up with SUSE having a reiserfs partition for /
    a ext2 partition (quite a small one) for /boot
    and (probably) a partition for /swap (or you could share the Mandrake one).

The SUSE installer should walk you through this.

You'll end up with a PC with WinXP on hda1, Mandrake on hda5, and Suse / on hda6 and Suse /boot on hda7, oh and /swap for both Linuxs somewhere as well (hda8 ?).

Then I STRONGLY recommend that you use GRUB as your boot loader (keep a single /boot/grub/grub.conf file, probably on your mandrake partition).

You may need a bit of help getting the boot loader to accept that the /boot files are on a different partition from your / filesystem of your Suse, but we'll come to that bridge when we come to it.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I'll give that a try in the next few days when I get time and let you know how I get on.

It could be fun.

Don