Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I don't own a CD burner but I want to download Linux Mandrake 9.0 and install it. Is it possible to install it from the hard disk and if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Mandrake 9.0 from Hard disk?

Hi,

I don't own a CD burner but I want to download Linux Mandrake 9.0 and install it. Is it possible to install it from the hard disk and if so will it cause any problems with my Win98 installation (I know a CD boot installation will let you keep your old OS). Do I need to make a boot floppy to install it?

I'd appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this!

Linux Guru
    I haven't used Mandrake, but I know that it's possible in RedHat, and probably in Mandrake, too. What you will have to make sure first is to have unpartitioned space free on your hard drive.
    And yes, you will have to make a boot floppy, but there should be an image on the CD that you can write to a floppy with a special program.
    I've posted about these issues before. Look them up in the installation forum.

Just Joined!

iso image?

I am currently downloading the iso image (cd1). That's the installation cd right!? I assume it is! Should I use the iso image or the individual files and what should I do once I have it on my hard disk double-click it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close