Find the answer to your Linux question:
What's the latest linux distribution (and most stable) release out there that has a gui installation (like redhat or mandrake), that also includes GTK2.2 for GNOME? I've used redhat in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

latest distribution with gui install and GTK2.2?

What's the latest linux distribution (and most stable) release out there that has a gui installation (like redhat or mandrake), that also includes GTK2.2 for GNOME?

I've used redhat in the past, but am not happy with their latest few releases, as they try to pack too much crud in them.

I've heard Mandrake 9 is unstable, as they released it before it was ready. Some people are telling me to wait until 9.01 release of Mandrake becomes stable.

What do you think? What is your recommended distribution?

I've used Gentoo, which is awesome, but you really need to know what you're doing and need a fast line (i'm on dialup).

Your suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
    Joe

Linux Enthusiast
    I personally would stick with gentoo. Especially if you want the most up to date stuff. GNOME2 is very pretty though, gotta love the huge steps they have taken.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!

mandrake 9.1

I have personally used the 9.0 beta version and found it to be remarkably stable, even for a beta. However, the 9.1 beta 3 iso's are currently available for download and mandrake is known for using the newest software available. if you haven't used it before I would certainly recommend it. It is far superior to Red Hat in my opinion.

Linux Enthusiast
    I wouldn't say far superior. I haven't seen any linux distribution that is "far superior" to another.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    Thats true, most of it is personal preference. However i would say that mandrake does give a good deal more fairness to both of the major window managers and has better graphical system management tools. i guess the big thing is that it's much easier to come to terms with linux using mandrake than it is red hat as a newcomer

Just Joined!
    does mandrake have a package manager?

Linux Guru
    Mandrake uses RPMs, doesn't it?