Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I was hoping I could get some advice on which distro to install, I want to install to my SATA drive, but a lot of the distros I've tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro Help

Hey, I was hoping I could get some advice on which distro to install, I want to install to my SATA drive, but a lot of the distros I've tried don't seem to recognize it and a few just seem to get stuck in some sort of loop trying to communicate with it. I think it's the mobo SATA controller's fault, my mobo is an ASUS k8n-e deluxe [specs] Anyways, at one point I had kubuntu running (ver 6.06.1 I think), I had to use pci=nommconf to get it to recognize though, but then GRUB messed up at one point... I didn't really like the package setup with kubuntu, maybe I'm more of a gnome person, anyways, I don't know much about this stuff, so that's why I'm here, does anyone have any suggestions for which distro I should go with, please?

We can't answer "which distro" for you. It's completely subjective which distro is better for which person.... That being said, if you've tried Kubuntu but like Gnome better, take a look at regular Ubuntu; it uses Gnome by default. The latest version is 6.10.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

In general I'd recommend you make sure you're using the latest version of whatever distribution you take a look at.

That motherboard is fairly standard, so you shouldn't be having trouble with it. What are your other specs? (Harddrive, video card, anything else plugged into the computer?)
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Red face

Hey, thanks for the reply and the link, I'll look into ubuntu, I was more or less looking for suggestions for distros that people knew would work for my sata controller, because it causes so many issues, I'm pretty sure it is what is causing the trouble, because I would get messages like:

hda1: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0xff
    and
    insmod'ing module sata_nv failed at /usr/bin/perl-install/modules.pm line 302
    depending on which distro I used...
    and hd0 is my IDE drive, and I only have the two...
    my IDE drive is a Samsung SP0802n
    the SATA is a Samsung HD160JJ/P

and if you want any other specs, just ask and I'll dig them out, ok thanks for the info, I'll start reading up on that stuff now

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Like techieMoe says, any nForce3 based motherboard should not be a problem with any distro (provided it uses a fairly recent Linux kernel).

Make sure you have the latest BIOS version (version 1011, from Asus Support Site).

Ubuntu Edgy (6.10) should sail along.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Oh, ok, thanks, how newb-friendly is ubuntu edgy?

Quote Originally Posted by nine-hundred
    how newb-friendly is ubuntu edgy?
    Certainly among the most friendly, along with Mandriva, Mepis and OpenSuse (and plenty of others).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by nine-hundred
    Oh, ok, thanks, how newb-friendly is ubuntu edgy?
    Again, this is a hard question to answer. One person's "newbie friendly" isn't a universal concept. Ubuntu tries its best to be easy for new users, though, so it's probably better for you than Slackware (which is a good OS in its own right but absolutely does not try to make things easy).

Keep in mind that any discussion about what's "easy" and "not easy" are completely subjective and should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Yeah, haha, I suppose it is a subjective question, but I think you both pretty much answered it, I'm downloading it now, I had version of mandrake a fews years back, and it was pretty user friendly, so if this one is up there with mandriva, as long as the install goes well I should be good, thanks for all the quick answers everyone.