Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi Pals I am very new to this forum or i shud say to this linux world. I have just got the cds of ubuntu linux, tried live cd and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to install ubuntu linux with winxp?Please Help a noob

Hi Pals
    I am very new to this forum or i shud say to this linux world.
    I have just got the cds of ubuntu linux, tried live cd and found it quite interesting.
    Now i want to install linux on my hdd but the instructions says that it wud wipe off all my existing softwares including windows.
    I just want to know that is there any middle way out such that i can have windows and linux both.?
    I have heard about some "VMWare" software which create a virtual machine on ur harddisk and linux can be installed on it. but having two os simultaneously cause a loss in RAM which i dont want to have. I have only 256mb RAM.
    Please Help...
    The more you tell in detail, the more it is easier for me......
    Thanks in advance.

you have to resize Windows partition to create space for Ubuntu. you can do this easily through GParted. boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD and look for GParted in Menu. shrink last partition of Windows. Ubuntu needs 6-9GB disk space. leave new space unpartitioned/free.
    during installation, select 'Unpartitioned/Free space for install'.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

It's very important to defragment your hard drive in windows before shrinking the windows partition. This may save you some problems later.

Otherwise, do exactly as devils_casper told you. Use GParted on the live CD to shrink the windows partition (probably the only partition on the drive at the moment), and leave the rest of the space unformatted. Then start the Ubuntu install, and make sure it uses the "unpartitioned/free space".

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    It's very important to defragment your hard drive in windows before shrinking the windows partition. This may save you some problems later.
    hi smolloy !

AFAIK, GParted defrags partition before applying changes. you dont need to defrag partitions manually.

Casper

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    AFAIK, GParted defrags partition before applying changes. you dont need to defrag partitions manually.
    Are you sure about this casper? This is the first time I've heard of this! I've always heard people giving out the recommendation to defragment before resizing, and I've never heard mention of Gparted doing it automatically when resizing.

You could be right, but, if so, it's completely new to me!
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

I'm not saying your wrong but are you sure about this? I, like smolloy, have never heard about this.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

i am sure about this and i used GParted many times. Latest version of GParted uses ntfsresize utility. According to the ntfsresize page, it is NOT necessary to defrag your NTFS filesystem before resizing it. check here.

Casper

i am sure about this and i used GParted many times. Latest version of GParted uses ntfsresize utility. According to the ntfsresize page, it is NOT necessary to defrag your NTFS filesystem before resizing it. check here.
    Well look at that!

Thanks casper! You learn something new every day, don't you!

yes ! every day. remember the 'dar' script you posted, i am using that regularly...

Casper

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Well look at that!

Thanks casper! You learn something new every day, don't you!
    Ditto! Thanks for the info devils_casper!

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast