Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi! i have a 300gb hard-drive splitted in two partitions: Local (c , Backup (d . On local i have Windows XP installed, and on Backup i just have all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

n00b Uninstalling Linux Partition

hi! i have a 300gb hard-drive splitted in two partitions: Local (c, Backup (d. On local i have Windows XP installed, and on Backup i just have all my important documents, so when i installed SUSE Linux 10.1 on my system, it installed using 'backup' space, it installed sucessfuly, ok...

but now i want to uninstall it completely, so how? and will this affect my 'backup' partition? and will this resize my 'backup' partition to its original size?

thank you!

Just Joined!
    and i have partition magic 8.0, will this be useful?

To uninstall completely you could just use partition magic to erase the suse partition, and give the space back to windows. However, if you installed a linux bootloader, then you will have trouble booting windows again.

To solve this, you should boot the computer with the windows installation disk, choose the option to repair the installation, and then type "fixmbr" at the command line. This will reinstall the windows bootloader in the MBR, and you will be back to where you started.

Good luck!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    thanks! but when i open partition magic it shows what i believe to be three of them, is it ok to delete them all? or which one?

according to your first post, you installed SuSe in Backup partition. are backup documnets/partition available in Windows now?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    yes it is completely available, but its size its reduced

okkk ! if you delete Partitions now, you wont be able to boot up Windows coz GRUB will create problems.
    boot up from Windows Installation CD and select 'repair'. this will drop you on command prompt. execute 'FIXMBR'. this command will remove GRUB.
    boot up windows and delete Linux Partitions. you can do this through Partition Magic or Disk Management Tool of Windows.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First