Find the answer to your Linux question:
How long should the make bzImage command run from genkernel during an install take? It's been chundering for about 90 minutes now and I'm getting a tadge peeved. Should I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

genkernel in gentoo

How long should the make bzImage command run from genkernel during an install take? It's been chundering for about 90 minutes now and I'm getting a tadge peeved. Should I break it and reissue genkernel or go and have a lie down?

Ta.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux User
    Depends on the system, when I tried it, it was about 15 minutes or so. The reason it takes so long, dont know if you know this, genkernel simply selects everything so genkernel is not the best way to go about optimizing.

Linux Engineer
    Ta for the reply Slip. About 5 mins after I posted I stopped the process and restarted it again. Got to makemodules by the time I left for home. Should be done by tomorrow. Tis only a low spec machine - 233MHz 96Mb RAM.
    Lansbury's Lido

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    Ta for the reply Slip. About 5 mins after I posted I stopped the process and restarted it again. Got to makemodules by the time I left for home. Should be done by tomorrow. Tis only a low spec machine - 233MHz 96Mb RAM.
    Was looking over the post and only now noticed the 233Mhz and 95MB Ram dea, what the hell gave you an idea to put Gentoo on a box like that? How long did it take you to compile the system?

Linux Engineer
    *cough*Stage 3*cough*
    Lansbury's Lido