Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a bit of a noob with linux etc, but i'd appreciate some help if poss please. I have two hard drives, one 80GB IDE and one 200GB SATA. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux/XP dual boot 2 HDD

I'm a bit of a noob with linux etc, but i'd appreciate some help if poss please.
    I have two hard drives, one 80GB IDE and one 200GB SATA. The IDE is labelled C: and the SATA is D: . I currently run windows from the D: drive. I wish to put Mandriva on what is now the C: drive, but the boot.ini for windows has somehow found it's way there, and for some reason when I tried putting linux on it, I couldn't boot Windows from GRUB. Could anyone tell me how I could put linux on the the IDE and windows on the SATA, being able to boot to both using NTLDR (or GRUB if it will work). Thanks in advance.

you can setup dual boot using any method. NTLDR or GRUB.
    plug-in both disks one by one. are both OS booting up separately?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Well the SATA doesn't seem to boot without the IDE plugged in and Windows installed on it. Because I tried formatting the IDE, but then Windows wouldn't boot from the SATA. Perhaps it's because I somehow ended up with my main Windows and the boot.ini on different drives (if it seems strange, this sort of thing happens to my computers quite a lot)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Soz bout the double post, if I put Linux on the IDE, GRUB recognises Windows on the SATA but won't boot it when I select it. The screen just goes blank indefinately.

EDIT: btw if i try to boot the SATA with Windows on it's own it comes up "GRUB Hard Disk Error"