Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Mandrake 10.0 and resized my windows partition. When I turn on the computer and choose windows on the LILO menu, it tells me that it is loading ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installed linux, now win98 wont boot

I just installed Mandrake 10.0 and resized my windows partition. When I turn on the computer and choose windows on the LILO menu, it tells me that it is loading windows and then the computer does nothing ( I have left it for 30 mins). Linux works fine (almost, some minor issues with KDE). I have the use of another win98 computer and I can access my windows partition from linux (so I have copied all my important data to my /home partition and it was allready backed up). How do I get windows working, preferably without having to reinstall all my sofware (if possible)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Linux Guru
    is your /etc/lilo.conf correct?

-- Does it have the correct partition for the windows hard drive entered?

Also have a look in our tutorials section for some info about dual booting windows and linux.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Windows is on the dev/hda2 partition (I think). My etc/lilo.conf file has the following:

other=/dev/hda2
    label="windows"
    table=/dev/hda

I'm not sure about the table entry. Also, the file says to run lilo after modifying this file, what is meant by "running lilo"?

Also, when I tried to check on this through Mandrake Control Center (which tells me windows is /dev/hda2), it tells me:

"Installation of LILO failed. The following error occured: lilo fialed: Fatal: Partition entry not found."

Also, to clarify my last post in which I mentioned that it says loading windows, LILO says this and not windows.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have never seen or used table=/dev/hda just had a quick look around and found nothing do you know what it does?

Just Joined!
    I have no idea what it does, DrakConf just puts it there. It is only under the windows entry and nowhere else.

I fixed my problem by refomatting my windows partiton and reinstalling windows (not the best solution, I know).

I am still none the wiser about Mandrake CC telling me LILO could not install however.