Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! I'm new here and i hope anyone of you guys can help me with my problem. When i try to install windows after linux has been removed, i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems when trying to install windows..

Hi there!
    I'm new here and i hope anyone of you guys can help me with my problem.
    When i try to install windows after linux has been removed, i keep getting an RPC failure as son as i try to use the network from this new windows installation.
    I have formatted my drive several times and reinstalled windows, but i keep getting that tiny little annyoing error message which by the way starts a count down from 60 seconds, when those 60 secs has gone it reboots my computer wether i want to or not.
    Windows has worked perfectly on my laptop before i installed linux on it.But as i said, eversince i removed linux (delete all partitions, run fixmbr in recovery console, run fdisk/mbr in bootup mode) it will never give up giving me that error!

Thanks alot for any help i can get!

This is not caused by Linux.
    Since you removed it..
    What happens when you start windows while its NOT connected to the network ?
    RPC failures are caused by a wide range of possible bug, problems, hadware configs...
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    if i don't use the network it work just fine! =)

Linux User

symantec

The rpc error is a security measure. You are probably infected with the blaster virus. Search symantecs site for rpc and you'll find some help on removing it.

You can hide the symptoms by accessing services in control panel and modifying the rpc service. But DO NOT Leave it like this as you will be infecting other people while you are infected. boot into safe mode with network support to prevent the error. while you fix it.

Face it, windows security is being exploited. go back to linux.

If you're going to stay with windows. get a firewall - update windows. get a good (quite expensive) anti-virus suite.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

He said he has formated and installed windows 7 times so i dont think its that unless virri can now stay on the HDD when its been formated. And AVG is a great AV and its free.

Linux User

blaster

if a pc on the network is infected with the blaster virus then everytime he joins the lan he could be reinfected. I connected an XP machine to the net (fresh install) and got to zonealarms download page and was infected before downloading. Isn't broadband great. More virus transfer speed.

I work with windows quite a bit and have never heard of anything else taking down the rpc service with any regularity.

And AVG is ok but the free service remains a few days behind the real top of the line stuff. Trend micro have a good online service called housecall - that is excellent but its not the same as real-time protection.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Yeh if a machine is on his network is infected but we can only assume

it can be the only logical explanation..
    Search all your PC's on the network, one is infected.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Get a firewall and unplug the machine from the network burn the firewall on to a cdr or something then reinstall windows and install the firewall then plug the network cable back in. This should stop you from getting infected as soon as you join the network. Then as said scan all your machines to check if any are infected.