Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am a newbie to Linux, just started using it from 3 months now. I have a question but first let me explain my plan. Plan: I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kmk
    Just Joined!

How do I install Linux OS on external USB Hard Drive

Hi all,

I am a newbie to Linux, just started using it from 3 months now.

I have a question but first let me explain my plan.

Plan: I want to install Ubuntu 6.10, RHEL 4, Mandriva 2006 and SuSe 10.2 on my Iomega external USB Hard Drive.

Problem: After I installed Ubuntu 6.10 or Mandriva 2006 on the Iomega external Hard Drive when I try to start the system I get to see Grub 1.5 loading and an error 15 sometimes I get error 18 or error 2 as well.

Help: Can someone guide me to achieve my plan e.i. to have Ubuntu 6.10, RHEL 4, Mandriva 2006 and SuSe 10.2 installed on my Iomega extenal USB Hard Drive.

Thanks for viewing the thread,
    KMK

Just Joined!
    Hello,

I've been trying to load RHEL 4 on a USB hard drive. I encountered the same problem as you did. After a little bit of googling, I found out that GRUB was not installed on MBR of the USB drive. I used the CD1 of RHEL 4 and went in "linux rescue" mode. And installed GRUB on the MBR of the USB drive.

The errors disappeared! ( I am now fighting to solve several other problems on my way to load n boot linux from a USB hard drive)

Good luck !
    SJ

kmk
    Just Joined!
    Thx for sharing ur experience buddy... i will try that

Just Joined!

Question Any luck?

I am as much a newbie to installing Linux as one can be, but I absolutely want to install several Linux OS variants to an external USB drive -- just as you described.

My laptop's BIOS lets me boot from an external USB drive.

Is there an accurate, step-by-step set of instructions for me to accomplish this? For starters, I'll use *any* Linux installation. But I want to end up with an external USB drive that can be used to boot my laptop (or any other PC it is connected to -- so, hardware discovery would be desirable) into a Linux variant of my choice.

Also, I assume that I need to partition the drive (160GB) into a number of partitions -- a boot partition, root partitions for each Linux OS, and one or more partitions for user data that I would want to mount regardless of the specific OS I am running. Does this make sense? If so, how large should each partition be?

Whew -- a lot of questions -- sorry about that.

Thanks!
    mr_e_uss