Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've recently obtained a PowerMac, onto which I'd of course like to install linux. I know almost nothing about macs, however. All the docs I've read seem to require that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Linux on PowerMac

I've recently obtained a PowerMac, onto which I'd of course like to install linux. I know almost nothing about macs, however. All the docs I've read seem to require that I install a special boot loader. I cannot do this, though, since I have no hard drive with Mac OS on it.
    Does anyone know of any good pointers to docs on this or mayhap even how to do it?

Linux Enthusiast
    wanna erase everything? Download yellow-dog linux. I am sure that will have more instructions than I could even begin to pretend to know I don't own a mac, nor have I ever. I hope you use the more flop-intensive processor to it's potential.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    Well, the greatest problem is that the BIOS seems incapable of booting of a CD, and I think you have to do some serious unorthodox things with floppies to enable this wicked BIOS to boot off them. I'll check out the yellow-dog linux, though.
    The model number is 5500/225, btw. Does that mean that it runs on 225 MHz? Does anyone know what the pipelining capacity and Hz:IPS ratio of the ppc processors are?

Just Joined!

Linux on Macs

Hi,

I've successfully installed Mandrake-Linux on an iMac before. But the performance was so bad that I decided not to waste my time. I had to wait several seconds for commands to execute at the terminal. And I wasn't running X. As a matter of fact (no offense to MacUsers out there) everything seems much slower on Macs than on Wintel machines. No matter what they claim about the RISC architecture being faster than Intel, my experience when running operating systems on their architecture has been that PowerPC's are much slower. I may get flamed for that, but that's been my experience. Let me know if you have a different experience. The BogoMips was much lower than I expected as well.

Also, on macs, since the architecture does not contain an open BIOS, you have to hold down the 'c' key on the keyboard to boot from CD-ROM. The method for starting from cd-rom has changed from system to system, so it may be some other key combination on your PowerPC. You could try apple's online tech support as well.

Also, I believe Suse has a distribution compiled for the PowerPC if you want to try a different distribution. Yellow Dog and Mandrake are both fairly similar to RedHat.

In regards to your other questions, yes your processor runs at 225 MHz. As for pipelining capacity, etc. you'd have to check with Apple or Motorola. I doubt that they'll give you that information, they are a bit less open about such things. Hardware is much more closed on Macs than on PC clones. At one time they had an open architecture but they later closed it putting several clone manufacturer's out of business. Also, I used to run the BeOS. Apple were so uncooperative with BeOS that BeOS moved to an Intel architecture. But then again, BeOS is gone now too. Nice system, it's a shame it's gone.

Linux Guru
    I never had a chance to try BeOS... What was it really? I've gotten the idea that it was unix-based, but I don't really know...

Just Joined!

BeOS

Well, I guess this consitutes as a thread drift, but why not.

Yeah, BeOS was unix-based. Nice system. Good for a one user unix desktop. Wouldn't recommend it for a server. Neatest thing about the system was the boot time. Very fast. Faster boot time than any gui operating system I have ever seen on a PC. Also, the file system was very different, it was like one big database. One last thing that was really interesting is that the entire operating system was written in C++/assembly. Basically, an object-oriented operating system. Interesting idea but it just never took off. I just checked their site today. They used to own the domain be.com but they sold it off apparently. Also, they've sold all their intellectual property to Palm, Inc. They are in the process of suing Microsoft for violating anti-trust laws, too. They have the latest news on their website if you are interested in finding out what's currently going on:
    http://www.beincorporated.com/
    It's all a shame really. I'd personally like to see more innovation on desktop PC's. But maybe it's for the best. Hopefully all their software engineers can get linux jobs and help with the development of linux!

Linux Guru
    Yeah, I visited the BE site last month, also then in some hope of finding out what it really was, but the only two things I found out ware that it had some kind of like supernatural stream handling and that they're shutting down because of Microsoft. The suing paper was really interesting to read, though. I knew that Microsoft was bad, but I had no idea that they were THAT bad.

Just Joined!
    Dolda2000: If you are still curious about BeOS, I was just at sourceforge.net and apparently you can download it from there. It's in the top downloads section today.