Find the answer to your Linux question:
my pc has win xp on 25 gb and linux (redhat on 35 gb. sometimes back i found that my linux has developed some problem is unable to boot. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

boot problem and reconfiguration of partitions

my pc has win xp on 25 gb and linux (redhat on 35 gb. sometimes back i found that my linux has developed some problem is unable to boot. I tried to fix it and found that even the dual boot did not work. now i get a bash style GRUB and I have to boot windows using "chainloading". Is there a way I can correct the situation. I would like to repartition my pc with 35 gb for win xp and 25 gb for linux. I do not want to touch my windows as I have already installed several utilities. I would also like that my GRUB is more friendly and I do not need to type commands on the grub prompt to boot win xp.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Vivek

Just Joined!
    I'm a newb to Linux but when I put RH9 on my computer then later removed it the GRUB stopped working. I think Linux has to be present and working for GRUB to work. Perhaps if you just reinstall RH it will fix the problem.

GRUB requires files that are in /boot/grub/ folder. So, if you remove Linux (why would anyone want to do that! :o ) you'll also remove the files that GRUB needs. However, GRUB is (probably) sitting on a bit of your hard disk known as the MBR (Mater Boot Record), so most of the executable bit of GRUB remain, but its configuration files will have been removed. You get around that by doing the actions explained in the Dual booting with windows post in our tutorial section.

(http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3573)

As to what to do if you, after loading one of Uncle Bill's OSs, loose access to GRUB, well, then you read the GRUB Howto in our tutorial section
    (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6782).

As you can see, lots of people have had your problems, that's why we wrote the "how to get out of them" sections in the tutorial section.

have fun

Nerderello

[/url]

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I was able to resize the partitions. create two partitions c and e. now i can install linux on e as suggested. the problem is that i was not able to get rid of grub, so that i can restart windows xp on its own. any suggestions how to get rid of grub ?

vivek

Just Joined!
    If you have xp on one partition and you are going to install redhat 9 on the other you dont have to get rid of grub. an install of redhat should fix it, what you will havw at the end of install is grub bootloader giving you the option of booting dos or linux boot... as long as you have not removed xp during RH install you will see the partitions during druid disk setup