Find the answer to your Linux question:
I hate to add to the grub clutter, but I have a small question that I want to ask without hijacking another thread. I have been searching here, and googling ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy sorry for another grub thread

I hate to add to the grub clutter, but I have a small question that I want to ask without hijacking another thread.

I have been searching here, and googling for info, and reading the GRUB manual at www.gnu.org. A plethora of my Qs have been answer, except for a few.

1. Is this right? > When PC boots up, bios loads stage1 from MBR. stage1 then looks for menu.lst from a particular partition. I am aware not all distros use menu.lst. How can the target of menu.lst be changed? I mean besides running yast in opensuse, or other such programs from "within" the operating system. Are there any configuration files written in human-readable format that allow one to change the target for menu.lst ? Say I have 4 different menu.lst files in different partitions of a single device (HD), how can I point grub to the first one, or to the second, without using tools found "inside" other OS or distros? Can the changes be made from inside the grub> command line option?

2. is this right? > Once an OS is selected from the menu, the corresponding stage2 proceeds to boot the OS. The stage2 file resides in the distro's /boot dir.

3. Where are stage1 and stage1.5 located on the hard drive? In which partition(s)?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    The stages reside in /boot/grub of the distro where grub is installed. If you have multiple distros and grub is installed on all of them, then the stages that are used are from whichever distro that has grub installed on the MBR. I am not sure where the grub config file can be changed to another. As for grub readin other menu.lst files, all I can think is that you need to install grub on each partition or hard disk and then chainload from the main grub which is usually installed on the MBR.

Quote Originally Posted by felipe1982
    Is this right? > When PC boots up, bios loads stage1 from MBR. stage1 then looks for menu.lst from a particular partition. I am aware not all distros use menu.lst.
    yes. stage 1 and 1.5 are stored in MBR. most of distros uses menu.lst. a few distros like Fedora uses grub.conf.
    Are there any configuration files written in human-readable format that allow one to change the target for menu.lst ? Say I have 4 different menu.lst files in different partitions of a single device (HD), how can I point grub to the first one, or to the second, without using tools found "inside" other OS or distros? Can the changes be made from inside the grub> command line option?
    No. stage1 in not stored in Human Readable format. for using other distro's menu.lst, you have to install stage1 of that distro. you can do this through grub-install command.
    let say you are using SuSe' menu.lst. it means MBR has stage1 of SuSe. whatever 'grub' related command you execute inside/outside the distro, it will be handled by stage1 of SuSe. now, if you want to use Ubuntu' menu.lst. you have to install Ubuntu' stage1 in MBR. ( grub-install command )
    # is this right? > Once an OS is selected from the menu, the corresponding stage2 proceeds to boot the OS. The stage2 file resides in the distro's /boot dir.
    yes.
    3. Where are stage1 and stage1.5 located on the hard drive? In which partition(s)?
    in Master Boot Record.
    stage1, stage1.5, Partition Table and HardDisk Signatures.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'd like to thank Daark.Child and Devils_Casper. You guys are so knowledgeable and friendly -- thanks for your time!