Find the answer to your Linux question:
First up I must say: Long time reader, first time poster I have found heaps of great resources on installing linux onto a USB Hard drive and done it no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Portable USB Hdrive but shifts location

First up I must say: Long time reader, first time poster

I have found heaps of great resources on installing linux onto a USB Hard drive and done it no problems until now...

On my primary PC the USB Hdrive is detected as /dev/sdc (as I have two other SCSI disks sda & sdb for Windows)
    The problem is when I use the USB Hdrive on my secondary PC the USB Hdrive is detected as /dev/sda and then fails to boot. (Its assuming sdc)

Now my question: Is there something I can do with either LILO or GRUB that is dynamic to the booting of the USB Hdrive?

If it matters I'm running OpenSUSE 10.2.

Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    Hmm sort of what i'm trying to do rite now...
    for the kernel's root option, instead of specifying root=/dev/sdx, you could try root=LABEL=label-of-your-disk or root=UUID=uuid-of-your-disk. Does that do anything for you?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help there...

Ill post my experience with what you have helped with.

Pretty much I installed opensuse with all my drives disconnect but the usb drive.
    I used grub as my loader and just did a normal install.

Once everything was running I updated my fstab with instead of /dev/sda i used UUID=and my uuid.

After that I edited my /boot/grub/menu.lst in the same way using root=UUID=the uuid of the partition.

I didnt edit anything else, I plugged in my other drives which then become sda and sdb and it worked

Im guessing this part but I never changed device.map as when you boot from the usb drive in your bios it gets priority then for the bootloader and can be seen as (hd0,1)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close