Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I'm a complete newbie to Linux, and have been thinking of switching over from Windows forever. So, I downloaded the Mandrake 10.0 Community ISOs for Disc 1 & 2. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10: no cdrom device found...

Hello!

I'm a complete newbie to Linux, and have been thinking of switching over from Windows forever. So, I downloaded the Mandrake 10.0 Community ISOs for Disc 1 & 2. However, when I try to install it, it tells me "error: no cdrom device found". The CD-ROM model is a 'wpi cdd-1620' (Wearnes CDD-1620?) according to the Windows device manager. Can anyone give me any advice as to how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Just Joined!
    I have same problem.
    I buy new computer and start to install linux.
    Bun in the begin of installation I recive messege: "NO CDROM DEVICE FOUND".
    This message was in all linux.
    My friend tell me that it is cause of my motheboard ASUS s775 P5B.
    Is it true?
    If not what shell I do?

P.S. sorry if i said somthing wrong - Englis is not my pwn language.

Just Joined!

Exclamation

Yeah I'm having the same problem too.
    I have proofed that it is not the problem of the CD/DVD-ROM you use by testing it with different ROMs. So it should be the problem of the motherboard.

Worse, I think it actually has a high chance to happen, especially in new motherboards that uses SATA for harddisks, and PATA (traditional IDE) for ROM devices.

I have searched through lots of linux forums and also motherboard manufacturers' websites, none of them could give me a satisfactory solution. I keep on writing to Intel's customer support recently and hope that those could draw their attention to the severe problem.

So beware of this issue, if you are going to buy a new PC.

P.S.: My motherboard is Intel PQ965GF, and DVD-ROM is NEC 3500AG (connected by PATA)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close