Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, folks ! Can anyone tell me how to dual boot FC6 and WinXP on two hard disks in which one is SATA and another is PATA ? I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Booting Headache !!!

Hi, folks !

Can anyone tell me how to dual boot FC6 and WinXP on two hard disks in which one is SATA and another is PATA ?

I have Intel D865GBF mother board with Pentium 4 2.4 GHz. Two hard disks one is PATA other is SATA. I have WinXP already installed on SATA, I also managed to install FC6 on my PATA. Now when I boot from my PATA FC6 runs OK, but WinXP( Other ) does not boot and shows error msg something saying chainloader+..... . When I changed boot device to SATA WinXP boots perfectly. Plz, help me to run WinXP from GRUB menu.

And if you could also tell me about detailed installation procedures and where I missed ???

where did you install GRUB? in Windows HardDisk or Linux?
    in case, GRUB is installed in Linux HardDisk, check this link for setting up Dual Boot.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Dual Booting

First Thank You devils_casper for noticing me

GRUB is on FC6 Linux drive which is a PATA drive. WinXP on SATA drive.
    I have checked the link you provied, but isn't it is for two IDE drives???

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    those instructions works for SATA drive too. just follow those. in case, you get any error, post exact error message here.

Casper

Just Joined!

Dual Booting

I cant thank you enough. I was having this problem from a long time. Thank you.

If you can plz tell me how can I avoid this problem during installation so that I should not have to do it every time when I install Linux and Windows as dual boot on two hard disks.

i am glad i could help you. duing Linux install, always unplug Windows HardDisk and add an entry for Windows in grub.conf ( or menu.lst ) and device.map files after Linux installation.

Casper

Just Joined!

Need More Help!

This linuxforums.org is great and you also

Can I continue my future linux related problems on this same thread!

Like I also want to know how to get softwares and drivers for Fedora Core 6, how to install and uninstall them that I can do quite simply in Windows OS.

I have Smart Link 56K Voice Modem which is auto detected and installed in Windows but my FC6 don't seems to recognize it.

I tried configuring internet connection with KPPP but it doesn't happen

you dont need to install drivers for most of HardWare parts. Latest distros recognize and configure those. in case, you have to install drivers ( e.g. graphics cards ), start a new thread with full details, device name, make etc etc.
    regarding Modem problem, i suggest you to start a new thread. this thread's title is Dual Boot and its possible that you will miss a good suggestions from other members.

Casper