Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just built a box for screwing around and learning. It has 2 hard drives and my plan is to install and play with as many different linux distros as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up box for many linux distros

I just built a box for screwing around and learning. It has 2 hard drives and my plan is to install and play with as many different linux distros as I can. The box will not have Windows.

I'm slightly confused as how to set up the boot and partition scheme. Most of the tutorials I've read have been dual boot win-linux. Or the how to in this forum for "tri-boot". My understanding of how the MBR, boot partitions, boot loaders, etc all work together is incomplete. I read the Grub documentatin and now I'm more confused.

If anyone can explain this to me or point me to some good resources It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

hi kolopelli !!!

Welcome to the LinuxForums !

check this thread.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks Casper! I think I have a good idea of what I'm doing now. One question though... what if I install a distro like Slackware that uses LILO - how do I fit that into my Grub scheme?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    whenever you install new distro, install Boot Loader ( GRUB/Lilo ) in the MBR of HardDisk. both works perfectly.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First