How do I copy a dual boot system to a new hard drive? I have OpenSUSE 10.2 and Windows 2000 on a single 80GB hard drive. I need to copy this to an identical drive for backup. I have been making backups this way for several years before I started using Linux. However, I have not found any way to obtain a functional clone with the dual boot system.

The closest I have come to achieving this is using Symantec Ghost 2003. I’ve also tried Ghost 2001 and Ghost 10.0 with less success. When I clone the drive with Ghost 2003 the result boots into the GRUB splash screen with the Window and Linux options as expected. Selecting Windows works properly. When I select Linux, it starts with the normal splash screen, then stops mid-way in the process with a command line screen. It ends with the line:

fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm trying to repair or how to do it. I have read the "info fsck" text and the "info e2fsck" text and tried running each with what appears to be the expected switches, but only get various error messages. When I list the directories and files, they appear as expected. The only other clue is that a few lines before the "fsck failed" comment, the swap partition mounting records "failed". I have tried to boot into Linux using the installation disks either as an “update” or “boot the existing system” and although some promising things happen it never reaches the desktop.

I have been searching the web for any insight available with no success. I find it difficult to believe that a lot of people haven’t tried to upgrade or replace their hard drives and encountered this problem. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks