Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I currently have Windows XP. I want to install SuSE linux also, without erasing any of my windows files. I want to be able to choose what OS to boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I want to install SuSE also...

I currently have Windows XP.

I want to install SuSE linux also, without erasing any of my windows files.

I want to be able to choose what OS to boot into.

I also have the SuSE DVD.

Thanks.

You need to defragment your hard drive in windows. Then reboot the computer with the SuSE disc in the drive. When you get to the partitioning section, shrink the size of the windows partition, and tell the installer to put SuSE in the free space created by this. When it asks about the bootloader, tell it to install the bootloader to the MBR. It should configure everything else for you.

Please be very very careful not to install SuSE over windows, or you will lose everything. Make backups of all your important windows data before you do anything!!!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Gen.Ben, if this is your first time installing Linux, all SUSE versions newer than 9.3 will propose a partitioning scheme for you based on the size of your hard disks. It will automatically handle resizing and creating of new partitions for you.

Also like smolloy said, be sure to defrag your hard drive a few times i.e. until a defrag doesn't change anything.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    In case you couldn't tell Gen.Ben each of these scenarios that Smolloy and AlexK suggested will automatically set up a dual boot scenario for you. Having one Windows partition, and then using your install disc to set up your Linux partition, will automatically set up a dual boot scenario with GRUB, for you. But, as both of them have said, defragging your Windows hard drive before you install SuSE would be a good idea. Good luck.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Gen.Ben, if this is your first time installing Linux, all SUSE versions newer than 9.3 will propose a partitioning scheme for you based on the size of your hard disks. It will automatically handle resizing and creating of new partitions for you.

Also like smolloy said, be sure to defrag your hard drive a few times i.e. until a defrag doesn't change anything.
    Not my first time, I have installed Fedora Core 5, and Yellow dog linux on my ps3.

Can I select the size of the new patrition?

Just Joined!
    Right now I am defragging, 3% in 1 hour, this may take a day.... damn you 400GB Barracuda!

Quote Originally Posted by Gen.Ben
    Can I select the size of the new patrition?
    Yes, that should be one of the options in the partitioning part of the installation. Just make sure to check everything before committing any changes, and make sure to backup your important files before you change anything!

Good luck!
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Just Joined!
    I would like to thank everyone who helped me!

SuSE is great!

Thanks for your advice guys, I took my chances and didnt backup anything, I would of if I had anything important. I didnt lose anything either

I LOVE THE OPTION TO CHOOSE WHAT OS YOU WANT TO BOOT INTO!

WOW Linux is great, I cannot believe it is free!

I have one problem, the resolution is a bit too wide for my monitor, it cuts off a bit of the side, and when i move my cursor to the side where it is cut off, it slides to show it, I dont like this, is there any way to change this?

THANKS GUYS!

Glad you got it working! Congrats!

To fix the resolution, go into YaST (it's in the KDE "start" menu), click on "hardware", and then "Graphics card and monitor". Make sure everything in there is configured properly, and then log out and back in again. Don't save any changes without testing the configuration.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Glad you got it working! Congrats!

To fix the resolution, go into YaST (it's in the KDE "start" menu), click on "hardware", and then "Graphics card and monitor". Make sure everything in there is configured properly, and then log out and back in again. Don't save any changes without testing the configuration.
    Ok, i did that, i set it to 1440x900 (I have a Acer 19" Widescreen) no sliding problem anymore.... But now all the text is scrunched, its readable but i would prefer if it was normal, any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast