Allright...fun stuff. Found a very helpful page that upped my understanding quite a bit http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-edition.html.

in there it explained why my hdb magically became hdc. Also explained the root (hdx,y) command very nicely. Now following the table on there and the outputs from my fdisk I come up with what should be the command. My /root appears to be /dev/hdc2 so from that I should be running the command root (hd2,1) but that doesn't work. I get "Error 21: Selected disk does not exist" very strange.

For kicks I attempted various other combos...
root (hd0,0) Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x42
root (hd0,1) No such partition
root (hd1,0) Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x42
root (hd1,1) No such partition
root (hd2,0) Selected disk does not exist

Most of those answers make at least some sense. The first one...while I don't think it should be filesystem 42...fdisk says it is 42 also which boggles me. The second one...well duh there is only one partition on that disk. The second one...I guess it is looked at the CD drive which makes sense in terms of the response to the third and 4th. The fifth one loses me as that disk has to exist.

On a side note lol I wiped an old laptop...well not that old but I don't use it. And installed linux on it no problems at all.