Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings all, I have recently override my debian linux with the new Mandrake 10. Everything worked pretty well so i decided to install it on my other PC. (an old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10 : Gnome and Network problem

Greetings all,

I have recently override my debian linux with the new Mandrake 10. Everything worked pretty well so i decided to install it on my other PC. (an old Celeron 333, wich had a slackware before)

Here i got two problems :

1) I did exactly the same installation as the previous, but this time gnome wasn't installed though i checked it during installation. I decided to install it afterwards, it worked well, but i can't select it in the interface selection. I have KDE, IceWM, but gnome does not appear though it is perfectly installed ! Does anyone know where is the file that tells which interface you can select or how i could fix this ?

2) This old PC has an ISAPNP ethernet NE2000 compatible card. On the previous slackware, i had disabled pnp on the bios, and then added alias eth0 ne to the modules.conf file to make it work. It worked good.
    But on this new mandrake, this has no effect. The network card isn't detected so i can't set up network. How can i fix this ?

Thank you all
    Muad_sw

Linux Engineer
    do u have isapnp-tools installed or whatever its called.

for the display manager listings, do u have the package gnome2-2.4.... isntalled?

doesn't Mandrake use some sort of scripting to put stuff into modules.conf?

So, no matter how many times you put an entry in manually, it just overwrites it.

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    ive disabled the hardware detection on boot, but i think it only overwrites modules.conf when u run the config wizards, coz ive edited mine before and they are still fine. Even the wizards only replace the lines u change in the wizard

Just Joined!
    Greetings,

About isapnp : As i wasn't working the old way, i installed isapnp tools.
    I did a pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf (settings were correct) and then isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf (found the card) and modprobe ne but it still doesn't work. (can't be because of the override of the file as i do it manually)
    Shouldn't the card appear somewhere or at least etho after this ?

About gnome, i've installed everything related to gnome so i guess i have this package to.

Thank you

Muad_sw