Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
? sorry im n00b i just know how to build system and setup basic bios.... whats that?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

? sorry im n00b i just know how to build system and setup basic bios.... whats that?

Linux Engineer
    Code:
    cat /proc/pci | grep IDE
    That should show your ide controller.

Linux Enthusiast
    genlee: if he can't boot linux, how do you expect him to use that to find out what IDE controller he uses? Why not check the windows device manager. There should be a list of IDE devices in there.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Engineer
    Ahh, I must of misread somewhere that he got it to boot.

Linux Guru
    But really, he can do it from the installation shell. /proc is mounted there, too, in RedHat.
    So if you don't have Windows installed, just press CTRL+ALT+F2 during the installation and run that command that genlee gave you, and you will find your IDE controller.
    - EDIT -
    Further, when you say the your hard drive is on ide1, do you mean your primary IDE bus? If so, then ide1 is ide0 in Linux. That (3, 1) tells you the device number that Linux uses. While this might not mean anything to you, it tells me that it's the first partition of your primary master IDE unit (most probably your hard drive).
    Now, the question is if the hard drive has bad blocks or if it is your IDE controller that is buggy. Find out what your IDE controller is, and maybe we'll find out. Anyway, it's clearly a hardware fault, but if it's your IDE controller, then it might be possible to fix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2