Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I get wierd problems like errors during install like bad media and lack of harddrive space.. also when i do automatiicaly partition it freezes on me. i tried disk druid ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

get wierd problems for redhat 8.0

I get wierd problems like errors during install like bad media and lack of harddrive space..

also when i do automatiicaly partition it freezes on me.

i tried disk druid and did it like this

hda1 / with 5 gigs on a 60 gig harddrive 512 ddr
    hda2 swap with 2 gigs
    then it has free space to like 40 gigs? why does it do that i dunno.

but i get wierd errors like bad media lack of disk space and sometimes debug errors, is it a bad burn to the cd? if it is how doi make a cd this is a friends..

Linux Guru
    It might just be the hard drive that's malfunctioning. What distribution is this?

Just Joined!
    redhat 8.0

the harddrive is bad? hmm ..

Just Joined!
    its like i get soo many package errors, like redhat artwork, wireless network config... soo many is this a cd error or harddrive error?
    also minimal install did work!

Linux Guru
    Oh, it's redhat? Then, while you're getting errors, press ALT+F4 (CTRL+ALT+F4 if you're running the graphical installer) to switch to the kernel log output. There should be errors beginning with hd?: ... , where ? is any one letter, probably from a to d. Please note exactly what letter, and match that against the IDE drive. a indicates the primary master, b the primary slave, c the secondary master, and so on. From there, you should be able to see what drive it is that fails.

Just Joined!
    what happenes if it fails what do i do? fail meaning what? what if it doesnt fail but still bring a message up?

Just Joined!

my error

this is my error

i think the one your looking for...

EXT3-fs error ( device ide0(3, 1)): ext3_add_entry: bad entry in directory #2 017: directory entry across blocks - offset = 0, inode = 1166795861, rec_len=35296name_len=84

so what is this saying? my harddrive is failing? my harddrive is on ide1, and cd rom on ide2, im kinda a n00bie.... is ide0 same as ide1? help plz thx. ad sector id not found on all the other errods on the top.. and it starts with hda on some too instead of ext3 which i believe is the file system?

Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, it is your harddrive failing it looks like. ide0(3,1) is /dev/hda1 I think, which is the first partition on your master hard drive. Try a different hard drive (if possible).
    Here is a decoding of the error message:
    EXT3-fs error: EXT3-fs is the file system, this is just saying where the error is.
    ( device ide0(3, 1)): device ide0(3, 1) is the first partition on your master hard drive, and is just telling use where the error occurred.
    ext3_add_entry: bad entry in directory #2: this tells us what kind of filesystem problem we have encountered. It seems there was some bad data in the inode table (probably).
    017: directory entry across blocks - offset = 0, inode = 1166795861, rec_len=35296name_len=84: this tells us what the side effects of the bad data was, and some variable information that is relevant to the error. For instance inode = 1166795861 makes me think your inode table got screwed up.

If I decoded the error correctly one solution might be to set up your disk differently, maybe try having a blank 1 gig partition at the very beginning (where the bad blocks seem to be), and use space after that.

Also, to anyone reading this: This is the kind of error we are looking for. Do you see how informative that single error line was? It tells us all sorts of things about what happened. Also, if need be, I could go into the actual kernel code and find out _exactly_ when this error message occurred, and if it is a bug could fix it, and/or tell the person that wrote the code so he/she could fix it.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    In my experience, Linux and Windows use different IDE functionality to accomplish certain tasks. For example, I had accidently plugged in my IDE cable upside down once, and when I noticed, I saw that that had pushed one of the pins in, so that it didn't have contact with the cable connector anymore. In windows that didn't seem to be a problem, but when I ran Linux, it gave me IDE errors. That leads me to believe that that pin is only used for some extended functionality that Windows doesn't use.
    Maybe something similar is happening to you? As I understood you, this drive works in Windows, right? Maybe you will want to check your connectors and cables (and the controller board on the HDD) to see that everything looks as it should.

Linux Engineer
    What IDE controller are you using?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast