Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a workstation running redhat 8.0. Recently, I put a scsi controller card into the workstation, in order to use a Dell 100T DDS4 Tape Drive. When I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Add tape drive to redhat 8.0

Hi,

I have a workstation running redhat 8.0. Recently, I put a scsi controller card into the workstation, in order to use a Dell 100T DDS4 Tape Drive.

When I reboot the linux machine, it doesn't auto detect the tape drive. The tape drive doesn't show up under /proc/scsi/scsi also.. I've some Questions :

If, at the time when I installed redhat 8.0, the tape drive and scsi controller cards are already in the workstation, then the linux installation would've detected them and install the necessary driver files, right? But now... linux doesn't "auto-detect" them upon reboot. Does this mean that the necessary driver files are not installed?

What do I need to do to get it to work? Hopefully no need to link whatever to the kernel, nor recompile it? That's beyond me...

Advice will be greatly appreciated, guys.
    YS.

Linux Engineer
    You will have to load the correct scsi modules for it to detect it. Add them to /etc/modules.conf and they will load during boot though you don't need to reboot to get them to work. Just loading them now will make it work.

Just Joined!

err with modprobe

Hi ppl,

I tried "modprobe sym53c8xx" and "modprobe aic7xxx".
    It says :
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-14smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.o:
    init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
    invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

Now, what does that mean, or rather... how do I go about spoting and then
    rectifying the problem?

Linux Engineer
    What scsi controller do you have?

Just Joined!

scsi controller

It says on the manual "Adaptec scsi card 39160 Ultra 160 scsi controller"

Linux Guru
    Could you look at the board and see what host interface chip it has? It's probably a large chip close to the PCI connector. Actually, check the name of all the large chips, if there are more than one.

Just Joined!

scsi controller card

It says "Adaptec AIC 7899G"

In the installation guide that comes with it, it says when at bootup, the msg "Press <Ctrl><A>for SCSISelect (TM) Utility" will display.

But, I only saw "Press <Ctrl><A> to enter LSI Logic Configuration Utility"... which is the msg I've been seeing all along before installation of the scsi controller card.

Does this mean that somehow, the card is not detected at all... or is there a conflict somewhere?

I'm about down to my last resort of calling dell... but they will surely charge a service-price.

Linux Guru
    Take it easy with calling Dell, we'll be able to solve it here. Anyway, first check with "lspci" to see if the card is listed there. It _is_ a PCI card, right? Then try again to load the aic7xxx module, and check the syslog (kernel messages are logged to /var/log/messages on RedHat) for related error messages. Actually, check all lines that are prepended with "kernel:".

Just Joined!

solved

Hey buds...

Thanks folks, for all the time and help.
    I can see the scsi card now. Guess what's the trouble? I opened up the casing and discovered the Dell technician didn't insert the card fully into the slot! URGH..... that's the last thing I'll think of cos they're supposed to be professionals right..?

Hey, thanks again! I learnt alot from you guys too.

Regards,
    Yee Seng.