Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just installed my first Linux OS a week ago. I'm having a problem connecting to internet w/Mandrake9. I've read several docs & checked a couple different forums & have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake9 internet problem

I just installed my first Linux OS a week ago. I'm having a problem connecting to internet w/Mandrake9. I've read several docs & checked a couple different forums & have got several different options. When I run ifconfig eth0 my onboard lan is detected & up
    (ECS k7s5a mobo w/ intergraded ethernet conn. , using DSL ). I'm dual booting Win98 and web works fine here. My connection is static which I'm guessing gives me the different IP addr. every time I log on. I've used drakconfig and still no go. One option I was given was to install PCI ethernet port but I'm keeping this as a last resort as onboard works good BUT may be my problem. Another thing I read was to use pppoe client like Roaring Penguin Pppoe (tkpppoe?). If this will work, can I download it , put it on a floppy, and install in linux , and if so , how? I read a couple of things on installing progs , but don't know if any apply to what I want to do. Thanks for any & all help.

Linux Enthusiast
    try to run `ping 65.33.76.33` at the command line. If this works it means you do not have your DNS set up correctly. You need a way to map "yahoo.com" to a sequence of numbers, the actual address of yahoo.com. Once you find out what this DNS server address is add a line like:
    nameserver $DNS_IP_ADDRESS
    to /etc/resolv.conf. Where $DNS_IP_ADDRESS is the actual address of the DNS server.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!

Mandrake9 internet problem

I tried ping & got "not connected" message; tried to go in to /etc/resolv.conf and got "permission denied" message; get same msg. when I try /etc/hosts & /etc/ sysconfig.network. When I ran rpm -qi $ eth0
    message was: package $ is not installed
    package eth0 is not installed
    The sis 900 mod is listed when I ran /sbin/lsmod, and running ifconfig eth0
    tells me :
    link encap : ETHERNET HWaddr xxxxxxx
    inet addrx.xx.xxx.xx bcastx.xx.xxx.xx
    UP BROADCAST NO TRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500

Don't know if you need rest of message. I'm confused; is ethernet recognized but no driver in linux installed for it? It is a SIS900 Ethernet connection; I forgot what I ran, but I did something that I think told me I have a Realtek 81xx ? Could this be the actual make & model of ethernetwith SIS name on it? This is intergraded, not PCI card. Thanks again for help.

Linux Guru
    The reason that you're getting permission denied is because you're not root. You will need to be root to access /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network. I'm not sure why you would want to run rpm -qi $ eth0. rpm is just the package manager, and has really nothing to do with this.
    What's the name of the sis900 module? If it's loaded (listed by lsmod) and eth0 turns up in ifconfig, then it's most probably working.
    Could you recheck the error code from ping? I'm not aware of any "not connected" error that ping can give.

Linux Enthusiast
    no, it is working, but has no IP address, just like in the other thread. by running `ifconfig eth0` it shows that the card is up, and able to be functional, it just doesn't have an IP address. try to edit the file /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0 (if it exists) and set the IP address in there. pico, nano, and joe are good starting editors that are easy enough to get used to. After you have edited that file try running `ifcfg eth0 up` or `/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart` or `/etc/init.d/network restart`

Linux Guru

Re: Mandrake9 internet problem

Quote Originally Posted by ursamajor
    link encap : ETHERNET HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    inet addr:xx.xx.xxx.xx bcast:xx.xx.xxx.xx
    UP BROADCAST NO TRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500
    Are you really sure about that, wassy?

Just Joined!
    Tried to run /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0; no such file or directory. Ran dmesg less to see if it's listed; listed as Realtek RTL8201 also as SIS 900 fast ethernet ; saw "installing knfsd " if that means anything important. Tried to run /eth/sysconfig/network and got "permission denied"; doing all this as root. Do I have to make /etc sysconfig file, and having this, do I enter edit tool name in front of command line?Also, IP addr. varies every day; if I get things running ok do I have to do this every time I want to connect? Thanks.

Linux Guru
    You're not supposed to run them, you're supposed to edit them. Check out the text editors that wassy mentioned. The reason that you got permission denied is precisely because /etc/sysconfig/network isn't runnable. Also, wassy seemed to make a slight typo. It's supposed to be /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, not just /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0.

Linux Enthusiast
    Thanks dolda, I am getting sloppy in my sleep-deprived state I think

Just Joined!
    My mistake; I was under the impression I had to run these programs to fix problem, not edit through them. Thanks for being patient with a rookie.
    And, thanks for the info; I'll try these & let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast