Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi ladies and gentlemen I am a new user to Mac and I am having trouble. I have just bought a G3 Mac computer off the web. Now, it is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help! New to Macs !

hi ladies and gentlemen

I am a new user to Mac and I am having trouble.

I have just bought a G3 Mac computer off the web. Now, it is installed with OS 9.2....I do not like the look of it.

I want to wipe this out, and install Yellow Dog 4.1 Linux on there.

So.

I bought the cds. Put the cds in the tray. Changed the system boot, to boot from cd rom drive. But then it would'nt recognise the files on the cd as a valid operating system.

So within OS 9.2 I clicked on the cd-rom icon. And then it came up with some files. Boot was under there as was some others. I tried all the files but none were executable. I searched on the menu for a run icon, like the one on windows xp, where you type run d: or some such, but I could not find one.

Anyone able to give me tips on how to install Yellow Dog Linux on this Mac G3 then? How do I go about it. I am willing to wipe the hard disk, because the programs and stuff on there are of no interest to me.

thanks

mike beech

There won't be anything executable on the CD. Yellow Dog is a completely different operating system, not a program you run inside of the Mac OS. You'll need to let the G3 know that you want it to boot from the CD rather than the harddrive. Either you can choose the harddrive as the boot disc (somewhere in the system utilities, I forget where it is in 9.2) or you can reboot it while holding down the letter C on your keyboard. Some older Macs use D instead. One of those should get you booting.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

thanks for your help

thanks for your help with that.

I did actually allocate the mac to boot straight from the cd.

So prior to booting Mac OS 9.2 it tried to boot a system from the cd.

I shall try the option tomorrow of C or D key, in order to see if I can forestall where the Mac switches from trying the CD drive to going automatically afterwards to the hard drive and booting from there.

As I say prior to booting from the hard drive, it went to the cd drive to try there first. After a while a folder came up with a question mark and then a Mac system icon. Then it automatically stopped trying the cd drive and went to the hard drive.

I'll let you know what happens after holding down C or D key

thanks

mike

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebeech0671
    t
    As I say prior to booting from the hard drive, it went to the cd drive to try there first. After a while a folder came up with a question mark and then a Mac system icon. Then it automatically stopped trying the cd drive and went to the hard drive.
    Hmm... did you verify the checksum of your Yellow Dog ISO before you burned it? It's possible it didn't burn properly if you're not able to boot from it. What did you use to burn the disc?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

burn the disc?

the software that I bought from linux shop in uk, for the mac, is already loaded onto cds, which say yellow dog 4.1....so I presumed all the hard work had already been done for me.

I have bought preloaded linux distros from them before and I just tend to put the cd in the cd rom player and it just does the rest. It always works that way.

Being new to Macs I was not sure what to do at first. So I specified to boot from cd in the control panel options drop down menu bar. Rebooted. Put the cd-rom in and tried that. Today I tried pressing down c.....no joy..then I rebooted...tried pressing down D...no joy.

The problem like you say, seems to be, it does not recognise what is on the cd-rom as a valid Mac comptabile boot system. I realise that Linux is a completely different operating system to 9.1, however, I knew also that you had to have a specific Linux package created for Mac rather than any old Linux package.

Because its a pre-installed cd-rom with all the logos of yellow dog, I thought there would be nothing other to do, than just pop the cd in, and away we go.

Aaaaaargh...............

Quote Originally Posted by mikebeech0671
    the software that I bought from linux shop in uk, for the mac, is already loaded onto cds, which say yellow dog 4.1....so I presumed all the hard work had already been done for me.

I have bought preloaded linux distros from them before and I just tend to put the cd in the cd rom player and it just does the rest. It always works that way.

Being new to Macs I was not sure what to do at first. So I specified to boot from cd in the control panel options drop down menu bar. Rebooted. Put the cd-rom in and tried that. Today I tried pressing down c.....no joy..then I rebooted...tried pressing down D...no joy.

The problem like you say, seems to be, it does not recognise what is on the cd-rom as a valid Mac comptabile boot system. I realise that Linux is a completely different operating system to 9.1, however, I knew also that you had to have a specific Linux package created for Mac rather than any old Linux package.
    Yes, it should have been able to boot from the CD. Do you have access to broadband internet somewhere (or have a friend that does)? I would first try downloading the PowerPC version of another major Linux distribution such as Ubuntu:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUb...irect=download

And try to boot from that. If the CD boots, you know you just have a bad CD and perhaps you can arrange for an exchange or refund from the company. You might also actually like Ubuntu, in which case you can keep it and either run it off the LiveCD or install it.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

thanks very much

I just want to say thanks very much for all your advice on this. You have confirmed everything I thought about this linux cd, so thanks for that

cheers