Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Red Hat 8.0, Slackware 8.1, and a recent Lycoris release. My integrated network adapter didn't work with any of them. Niether did my integrated sound. I don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hardware troubles in several distribution

I have installed Red Hat 8.0, Slackware 8.1, and a recent Lycoris release. My integrated network adapter didn't work with any of them. Niether did my integrated sound. I don't think all the fault belongs with my hardware. When I boot Knoppix from it's CD, everything works fine without any input from me(except for activating the sound server which seems to be turned off by default). I tried to install Madrake over the internet, but the network boot disk couldn't find my network card. Any thoughts?

Linux Engineer
    What nic and sound card do you have?

Just Joined!
    According to the Windows device manager...

The nic is SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, and the sound is a C-Media AC97 Audio device.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    SiS NIC? I have never heard of that. Would it be possible for you to check which chipset this NIC is based on? The only way I know of is to open your box and see what chips are closest to the network connector. If you would happen to see one with 8139 in its model number, that's the one, but it's probably something else.
    The C-Media chip has Linux drivers available for download from their site (see http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_dload1.htm), but there, too, you'll have to know what chipset you have.

Linux Enthusiast
    Code:
    echo "
    alias eth0 sis900
    alias sound-slot-0 trident
    alias sound-service-0 trident
    alias char-major-14 trident
    alias snd-card-0 trident
    " >>  /etc/modules.conf
    It looks like you have the same board as me (integrate 1.3 celeron on an ECS elitegroup mainboard, right?).
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    No I don't have the same one. I'm not sure exactly who manufactures it, but it says it's a M810D series. I have and Athlon XP 1700+, so it's probably not all tht close. I expected sound problems since I actually had to install third party sound drivers for it to even work, but I expected my network to work., It's almost like it can't even find the network port.

Linux Enthusiast
    try using that anyway, it uses the ac97 codec. Though it might not be right. There are about 2 other threads going on about how to get your ethernet working if the module is already loaded. Search around for them.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.