Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having trouble with the sound on my computer with the red hat linux 8 distribution. It's an onboard realtek alc650 chip (AC '97). I tried installing the alsa project ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat 8 and sound

I'm having trouble with the sound on my computer with the red hat linux 8 distribution. It's an onboard realtek alc650 chip (AC '97). I tried installing the alsa project drivers (0.9 0rc6 version) but when I reach the modprobe command followed by the snd-via82xx module I get a list of unresolved symbols in the terminal. The chip is built in on my Gigabyte GA-7VAXP motherboard. Does anyone have any sugestions? I'm a newbie so please try and be as detailed as possible. Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Unresolved symbols should mean that there are some module that you have forgotten to load. Unfortunately, I don't use ALSA (I'm quite content with OSS), so I can't tell you just which one.
    I guess it could also be that your kernel version is incompatible, but that seems highly unlikely, since the other modules have managed to link. If you give us a sample of just what symbols are unresolved, it might help us help you.