Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Okay, I did all that stuff and it worked! You are the Linux Master! However (and there is always a however), my root account seems to be broken. When I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Okay, I did all that stuff and it worked! You are the Linux Master!

However (and there is always a however), my root account seems to be broken. When I try to login from the logon screen as root, Fedora shows the icons of things it's loading then gets to a point where it says Nautilis and just sits there. If I click on the screen the everything disapears and I'm just looking at a blank screen.

Also, if I try to run Synaptic now it won't work. It asks for the root password, I enter it and nothing happens.

What clever thing shall I do now?

Oh, one other thing, when I run apt-get I get pages and pages of warnings that duplicate programs are installed. Is this true or an incorrect warning? How can I correct this?

Thanks!

Errr. that's one of the drawback of reinstalling Fedora if you have a previously broken install....
    Had the problem myself, you need to remove the duplicate apps and use apt to reinstall them.. Until they are all fixed....
    So if you don't have any custom things under fedora, I would suggest creating a big tar file and put it save somewhere else and reinstall the distro, including a format of the filesystem.
    This is the only fast option.
    Oh, and the blank screen of synaptic, it means your RPM database is a bit corrupted... To fix this you could use a rebuilddb, but in this case i would recommend the above, that way you know you start clean and mean

By now you should be 'trained' enough to use the force ... .errr source .... errr.. errr....

As you now see, linux has come a long way from the 'dark' side but there is still much to be done .....
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    Okay, I can live with that answer. I have surely learned alot from these problems.

Thanks again for your great--and patient--help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3