Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm taking a Linux class this semester and our books came with a DVD and a CD. The CD has DSL on it and works well on the computers at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dsl

I'm taking a Linux class this semester and our books came with a DVD and a CD. The CD has DSL on it and works well on the computers at school. I tried it on my machine today and hardly anything works. I have a Pentium III, 733 GHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, 9GB of space, and I'm runnning XP. The computer at school has 2GB of RAM, runs XP, has 2 HDDs (both 40 GB I think), and I don't know about the processor but it's hella faster than mine. It shouldn't take much to run DSL, so I can't figure out what's going on. Any help?

Speed is sure not an issue (it can run on like 16 mb ram). Do you have some odd hardware? What do you mean hardly anything works?
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

When I right click and click on something, nothing happens. I clicked on the Control Panel and it took a looong time to come up. I clicked on Firefox, the CPU spiked, then gradually dropped again.

try running whatever isn't running from the command line and see if any errors occur
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

I'm very new to Linux, so how to I access the command line?

look for konsole or terminal in Menu and click on it. a command windows will pop up. type firefox and press Enter key. post error message here, if any.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First