Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I have a question. I have suse 10.1 installed on my dell, but i would like to buy a second hard drive and install vista on that one. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question install windows on second hard drive while linux on first hard drive?

Hey everyone,

I have a question. I have suse 10.1 installed on my dell, but i would like to buy a second hard drive and install vista on that one. How would i set this up so i am still able to chose which os to boot into on the startup screen.

thanks a lot in advance,
    tom

Well I'm not quite particularly sure whether it could work like this, but if I'm not mistaken this is how you'd go about it (roughly).

>>> Install Vista to your second HDD, now you won't be able to boot into Suse because Vista replaced your bootloader in the MBR (Master Boot Record)

>>> Boot from a LiveCD, mount your SuSE partition and chroot to it then run 'grub-install /dev/sda or /dev/hda' depending if you have a SATA HDD or not. (NOTE I'm NOT SURE THIS WORKS WITH SUSE, I tried it on Ubuntu). Now you can reboot into Suse from Grub as it should be installed now and then you can add Vista to the grub menu.lst [Someone correct me if I'm wrong ]

Alternatively it might have been better to have Windows installed first and then install suse so grub can automatically detect your windows installation and have it added to the boot menu in grub.

Someone else might be of better help for you

Linux Newbie
    Section A of this thread refers. It will work for Vista.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hey everyone,

I have a question. I have suse 10.1 installed on my dell, but i would like to buy a second hard drive and install vista on that one. How would i set this up so i am still able to chose which os to boot into on the startup screen.

thanks a lot in advance,
    tom
    hi wickster !!

install Vista in Second Harddisk and add an entry for it in SuSe Boot Loader. check this thread. edit 'menu.lst' file instead of 'grub.conf'.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    i will try these out....

THANKS A BUNCH
    tom

dont forget to unplug SuSe harddisk during Vista installation. when installation completes, plug in SuSe Disk as Primary Master and Vista DIsk as Secondary and follow instructions from the link i already posted.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First