Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi ... I have a PC with a single 20 GB HDD (as /dev/hda ) . The HDD is partitioned as follows : C:\ With Windows XP ( NTFS ) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with /boot partition during the installation process

Hi ...

I have a PC with a single 20 GB HDD (as /dev/hda ) .
    The HDD is partitioned as follows :

C:\ With Windows XP ( NTFS ) ( as /dev/hda1 )
    D:\ Data ( NTFS )

The rest of the HDD is 8 GBytes of Unpartitioned ( Free ) space and is left for Red Hat Linux 9.0

Please note that C:\ is the primary partition and the rest of the HDD is partitioned as an Extended one .( Do we need the installation partition of Linux to be a primary partition ? )

I started the Red Hat Linux 9 installation program in graphics mode .
    I select the Automatically partition option then to leave the current partition table as is . After that I let the system use the available free space to create the required Linux partitions including ( / & /boot & swap )

When I attempt to finalize these settings I get the following error message :

"boot partition may not meet booting constraints of your architecture. Creation of a boot disk is highly encouraged"

When I continue installing the required packages I am not able to boot into Linux . The system goes directly to XP without any message from the Linux boot loader ( LILO which was installed during the process ) ?

I need to keep my HDD such that if I decide to remove Linux later , I can go back to my XP system without loosing its boot sector/loader .

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

when installing linux make sure that the bootmanager is installed in the MBR of the booting harddisk... That would be /dev/hda
    Not /dev/hdb, since that one contains only you XP data partition and the minimum of 2 linux partitions (One linux, one linux swap.)
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    I have tried to manually create a /boot partition on /dev/hda itself but that gave me a debug error !

Would you be more specific on the intallation partitions please ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raedaljarrah
    I have tried to manually create a /boot partition on /dev/hda itself but that gave me a debug error !

Would you be more specific on the intallation partitions please ?

Thanks
    Okies...

Your first disk as said, contains only Windows XP
    That drive is know in linux as /dev/hda.
    The first partition on that disk is : /dev/hda1 (Guess you used the complete disk space for WinXP)
    You second disk, known as /dev/hdb in linux, contains a Windos XP data partition, the first one on the disk, so that's /dev/hdb1
    That leaves room for you linux swap partition and you linux partition.

I guess that the auto create process made two extra partitions.
    The first one would the /dev/hdb2 with linux on it and
    /dev/hdb3 would be you linux swap partition.

You need to install the bootloader on your first harddrive (/dev/hda)
    in the MBR (Master Boot Record) (Not the first active partition)

What more info do you want ?

Oh before I forget.
    Know what you do when playing with the linux version of fdisk.
    If you accidently delete partitions or rearange then without knowing what you do, you'll end up with losing all data on you disks. !!!!!

If you want a step by step help on how to manualy create the partitions and install linux, let me know...
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

don
    Linux Newbie
    i assume you have only 1 hard disk size 20 gb. thats hda so leave hdb out of the equation . As for partitioning its not necessary to have a separate /boot partion. the minimum u need to have is your linux root partition (/) and the linux swap(roughly twice the size of your ram.)

install your bootloader. LILO is good but GRUB is preferred as in my experience, GRUB could very well boot off etended partitions, while lilo has given me some troubles with 1024 cylinder limit(A really old one though.. now seems it supports beyond the limit.)
    I\'m just a simple fisherman blessed with a lot of friends

Just Joined!
    Hi ...

Let me put this problem in another way :

* I have only a single Physical HDD of 20 GB storage capacity.
    * It has two major partitions as follows :

6 GBytes as a Primary Partition ( in Windows conventions )
    Windows XP is installed here ( C:\ ) as usual

The rest of the drive is made an Extended partition ( Windows
    Conventions ) , one logical drive is created out of this partition
    and is labled as D:\ . NTFS file system.

The rest of the Extended partition is left as a free space without any
    logical drive defined .
    Now whenever I attempt to install Linux , I till its installer to leave the
    partitions as is and use this free space .

Now here is my question :

Will LInux be able to live on such a Free space within this Extended partition ?
    I understand that it has to create the three main Linux partitions namely ( /boot , / & the swap partition ) .

Now could we jut startover from this point towards a correct Installation of LInux without loosing my XP partition ?

I already have partition magic installed on XP .

Thanks

Will LInux be able to live on such a Free space within this Extended partition ?
    I understand that it has to create the three main Linux partitions namely ( /boot , / & the swap partition )
    yes, linux can exist in an extend partition.

Only two are linux partitions are basicaly needed.
    one for swap (Usualy twice the amount of you total memory size)
    one for you system mounted as /

To install Fedora,. boot up the install and use manual partition creation.
    Create two partitions in the extend.
    One twice the size of to total amount of memory and a second using the rest of the available space.
    Make sure that that the swap partition is set as swap and formated that way
    And select mountpoint / for the other partition. As filesystem select ext3 (if you want journaling, or ext2)
    After that continue with the install and select GRUB as bootloader.
    Make sure it's installed in the MBR.

Note: I was under the impression you had multiple disks, hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Hi Mr. Robert ...

Are you suggesting that we do not necessarly have to have a /boot partition ?

Why did they require it in the first place ? I need to fully install this product .

Now how could I make sure that the Boot Loader is installed in the MBR ?

Will this kind of installation be reversible in case I need to remove Linux and keep on using XP ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raedaljarrah
    Hi Mr. Robert ...

Are you suggesting that we do not necessarly have to have a /boot partition ?
    Why did they require it in the first place ?
    I think there is a slight mis understanding the / is commonly referenced to as the boot partition or root partition.

I need to fully install this product .
    Select install everything in the install selection menu. (Can be found at bottom of the list..., it will require a massive 4GB... if I recall correctly)
    Now how could I make sure that the Boot Loader is installed in the MBR ?
    During the installation process you will pass a screen concerning the bootloader, here you can also select where you install the bootloader, default it is in the MBR. There is also a button to add extra kernel parameters and more extras. These are for the more experienced users.
    You only need to check that MBR is selected.
    Will this kind of installation be reversible in case I need to remove Linux and keep on using XP ?
    Thanks
    If you remove linux in the future, just delete the linux partitions and to remove Grub or Lilo as bootloader, run the command fdisk /mbr in a command prompt in you windows xp.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much .

I will give it a try and let you know .

Regards

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast