Find the answer to your Linux question:
Do I have to install bootcamp or something else on my iMac when I want to install suse linux on it? Do I have such a program, and wich are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

suse + macosx => bootcamp ?

Do I have to install bootcamp or something else on my iMac when I want to install suse linux on it?
    Do I have such a program, and wich are the alternatives?

thx

Your approach depends on what you want, and what kind of iMac you have. If you have a PowerPC iMac, you cannot use Boot Camp. If you have an Intel iMac, you can use Boot Camp, but setting up Linux on it is still a hack job at best. Here is a site with more information on that process:

http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Trip...t_via_BootCamp

There are other ways to install Linux on your Mac, depending again on what you want and what you have. Do you want to still use Mac OS X? Do you need to use Mac OS X alongside Linux? Do you have a PPC or Intel Mac?

If you need to use the two OSes side-by-side, you can do this on an Intel Mac using a product called Parallels. It's not free, but it's a very cool program.

If you don't want to keep OS X and have a PPC Mac, you can just boot and install any PPC version of a major Linux distribution the same as you would for a MS Windows PC.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Is Windows strictly necessary? Could one use boot camp to repartition, install Linux on the new partition, and boot using rEFIt?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by dranorter
    Is Windows strictly necessary? Could one use boot camp to repartition, install Linux on the new partition, and boot using rEFIt?
    I don't know. The site I linked to in the previous post might have more information on that. I do not dual boot my MacBook Pro; I use Parallels to run Linux on it.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    That website strictly discusses Windows installation on Mac.

Seeing as I have been unable to find much information about Linux/Mac Intel dual booting out there, I will definitely post my results once I get things working...

That website strictly discusses Windows installation on Mac.
    Actually, the website specifically discusses triple booting (Mac/Win/Linux), not just Windows.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Yes.

But OnMac.net is about "Windows XP on Intel Macs", thus they discuss triple booting but neither dual booting Linux/OSX nor simply booting Linux.

Not that it so much matters. My point was just that I haven't found much adequate discussion of how to dual boot Mac OSX and Linux, addressing issues like whether or not to use Boot Camp, in a couple weeks of searching. So however I end up doing it, I'll make sure I post a description of it somewhere like linux-on-laptops.com.

Yes.

But OnMac.net is about "Windows XP on Intel Macs", thus they discuss triple booting but neither dual booting Linux/OSX nor simply booting Linux.

Not that it so much matters. My point was just that I haven't found much adequate discussion of how to dual boot Mac OSX and Linux, addressing issues like whether or not to use Boot Camp, in a couple weeks of searching. So however I end up doing it, I'll make sure I post a description of it somewhere like linux-on-laptops.com.
    Yes, there is a dearth of information on dual-booting Linux on Intel Macs. Please do post anything interesting you find. I'm interested myself.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants