Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'm new to linux. i constantly got an error during installation that said: segmentation error: seems like memory is lost as installation crashes. i rebooted many times ( 5 + ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandrake 8.2

i'm new to linux. i constantly got an error during installation that said: segmentation error: seems like memory is lost as installation crashes.

i rebooted many times ( 5 + ) to retry doing the whole installation.

when I finally got lucky enough to get to the last stage of the installation, i chose my graphic driver and confirmed that i saw the penguin picture etc. then i got the same error again and the installation didn't exit normally.

lucky enough, when i rebooted after the error, i was able to choose linux from the bootloader and successfully ran mandrake for the first time.

now, i currently have some questions:

1) what causes that segmentation error?

2) what can i do to make my sound work?
    ==> i have an onboard sis 630 chipset (i get confused with all the different downloads, dunno what a freakin rpm is as well)

3) the system took me back to login again while i was busy exploring my new OS( a couple of times and i'm only using it 2 days now). is this linux's way of crashing (at least better than freezing and having to reset!)?

4) only some of the games work. others simply show an animatedhour glass and then nothing happens. why?

thanx

Linux User
    are you usign mandrake? The penguin makes me thing so, but I coul dbe wrong.

Anyhow - the crashing during installation is not good, you have no idea if the installation got all the files there intact - so the crashing now could be related to that.

I would check your hardware, see if something is not supported that would cause it to lock up during the installation like that.
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Enthusiast
    go to memtest86.net and download the memory testing program, make sure your ram is good. That is a good starting point.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    That would be memtest86.com

Linux Enthusiast
    blasted short memory!
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    alright, i downloaded the memory test program. ill try that and report back here again.

meanwhile, what do I do about the graphics acceleration and sound problems i mentioned when i started this topic?

any help will be appreciated.

PS --> I am using mandrake 8.2 if that means anything.
    SIS 630 chipset (onboard sound)
    GeForce MX200 (graphics)

Linux Guru
    The best thing to do about the graphics acceleration would be to download nvidia's linux drivers. There is a very thorough installation document on the same page. I don't understand why they're not shipped with any distros, though... Aren't they GPLd?
    I can't really help you with the sound, though, since I've never heard of anything like SIS 630. Do you know if it's compatible with something, like AC'97 or soundblaster?
    Btw., an RPM is like an automated installation package. It contains the files to be installed and installation instructions along with some info and stuff. It has several advantages to the windows way of installing things, not least that it's fully automated (no interaction needed), and that you can afterwards identify which package any file on your hard drive comes from. It also contains depedency information to other packages and a lot of other stuff. There is a program called just 'rpm', that does RPM maintenance. If you want to check it out, run 'man rpm'.

Linux User
    back to what I said in the first place though...

If your install crashed 100 times you have no idea what is corrupt and what isnt - before you get to wound up solving problems get an install that completes without to many glitches...
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by majorwoo
    back to what I said in the first place though...

If your install crashed 100 times you have no idea what is corrupt and what isnt - before you get to wound up solving problems get an install that completes without to many glitches...
    I have to agree with majorwoo here. If your memory is bad, then sorting out your grapphics is just going to be a waste of time.

Intermittent failures, segmentation faults and page faults usually point to memory problems. I had this problem a while back as I had two 128Mb SDRAM modules, but they were from different manufacturers. As a result my system worked most of the time but every now and again it would crash leadinng to data corruption.

If you have more than 1 RAM module, try removing all but one and see ifyour comp. behaves better. You can always live with a little less memory for a while, till you isolate the problem.

Just Joined!
    actually, i have one 256 MB module in, and after running that memtest program thing it showed a wicked amount of errors, thousands...

guess i should replace the chip...

my onboard sound is not quite sound blaster compatible. i wanted to do the upgrad some time ago, but never got that far.

i would however like to know if anyone else ever struck a 2 fps with that tux racer game. plz tell me if i'm not the only one.

thanx a million...