Find the answer to your Linux question:
A friend of mine at work gave me her old laptop and asked me to put linux on it. I've been having some trouble making this happen. She has a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

installing linux on an old laptop

A friend of mine at work gave me her old laptop and asked me to put linux on it. I've been having some trouble making this happen. She has a dell latitude cpi a series.
    64mb ram
    2.5mb neomagic video
    pentium II 366 mhz

I've tried ubuntu edgy, suse 10, fedora core 6 and knoppix 3.3 the only ones i could even get to load up were suse 10 and knoppix, but suse is bogging her system down way too much and knoppix is just a live cd (it works really well though).

Any info would be much appreciated

install some lightweight distro or use lightweight Desktop Manager. take look here.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Knoppix normally supplies with an installer called knoppix-installer.

One can invoke the root privilege in a terminal by
    Code:
    su
    knoppix-installer
    If it is a live CD Knoppix would waive the root password demand.

Depending on the Knoppix version you have the installation takes about 10 minutes.

Just installed v5.1.1. yesterday and it took 6 minutes but I mounted the iso image on a loop back device to avoid burning it into a CD.

Newer Knoppix version is a lot faster. I will check my Knoppix 3.3 as the installer name has changed at least once.
    -----------------------------------------
    Edited

I confirm the Knoppix installer for V3.3 is "knx-hdinstall". I am using it to do the reply.

The following has been checked and run OK for a new installation
    Code:
    su
    knx-hdinstall
    The oldest Knoppix in my box is V3.6 and its hard disk installer has already changed to "knoppix-installer"

The Knoppix 3.3 I have dated February 2004, about the time I started Linux. Its front cover states "King of the Live CD distros!"