Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem running Linux on my computer. I've searched the forums and found that people have posted similar problems but I'm still unsure of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie question - 'no screens found'?

Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem running Linux on my computer. I've searched the forums and found that people have posted similar problems but I'm still unsure of what to do.

I've tried to install Fedora using the instructions and discs provided in Rickford Grant's 'Linux for Non-Geeks' book.

I think I got through the installation process OK, but after I rebooted and logged in with root (I think), I'm faced with a lot of text, which includes:

'Fatal server error: no screens found'

Also, further down, it says:

'(EE) Unable to locate /open config file
    (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()'

Any help is appreciated, though you may have to dumb it down considerably as I really don't have any idea what I'm doing. :P

Cheers.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caron
    Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem running Linux on my computer. I'

I've tried to install Fedora using the instructions and discs provided in Rickford Grant's 'Linux for Non-Geeks' book.

I think I got through the installation process OK, but after I rebooted and logged in with root (I think), I'm faced with a lot of text, which includes:

'Fatal server error: no screens found'

Any help is appreciated, though you may have to dumb it down considerably as I really don't have any idea what I'm doing. :P

Cheers.
    If you are trying out Linux for first time I would rcommend burning a bunch of different Linux Live CDs and trying them first. Then you will have some idea what kind of hardware your have, whether the program is compatible with your system and whether you like the way it looks and runs. Then once you find something you like install it from this Live CD. Distrowatch is a good place to get info and links to various Linux Live CDs.

Linux Newbie
    It is common for an installer fails to match your video with the generic drivers and a loss of screen would be the result. Sometimes even if the video driver works but the scanning frequencies are out, say you are using a LCD monitor but the installer still using the frequencies for a CRT monitor.

When you cannot boot up the GUI you will be dropped into the terminal mode and that is where you can fight your corner.

Modern Fedora has a program called "xorgconfig" with which you can reconfigure the Xwindows (also called xorg loosely). You can try the various settings available there. Once the configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf has been saved you can try it out by issuing the command
    Code:
    startx
    If it does not work, run xorgconfig again, then startx again any number of time.

If you know your video driver and the scanning frequencies you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf directly without going through the xorgconfig program.

Donot be discouraged. By getting your hand dirty you can grab Linux by its horn!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

I downloaded Ubuntu 6.10 and managed to get it working on my machine and am currently running a dual boot with XP. I'm having problems with the internet, it doesn't seem to recognize my wireless connection, but I'm going to try Wireless Assistant tonight, so we'll see how it goes.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caron
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

I downloaded Ubuntu 6.10 and managed to get it working on my machine and am currently running a dual boot with XP. I'm having problems with the inter
    net, it doesn't seem to recognize my wireless connection, but I'm going to try Wireless Assistant tonight, so we'll see how it goes.
    Another good program for wireless connection is Knetworkmanager which can be easily downloaded and installed through the update packages. I found this easier to use than wireless assistant.