Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just downloaded Fedora to replace my Win XP installation. Every time I try to install, it gives me an error message that says, "Your CPU does not support long mode. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Fedora Core 1 Installation problem

Just downloaded Fedora to replace my Win XP installation. Every time I try to install, it gives me an error message that says, "Your CPU does not support long mode. Use a 32bit distribution." What does this mean? How do I go about fixing it?

I have a 700 MHZ AMD, 128 ram.

It sounds like you downloaded and burned the wrong iso. Head back to fedora's website and get one for an x86 32-bit processor.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux User
    If you are installing on a basic intel style PC (amd included) you need to go to http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/1/i386/iso/
    and get the - yarrow-i386-disc1.iso (and disc 2 and 3) and give it another try.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for your help.

I downloaded the ISO's again, but I seem to be having a peculiar problem. The ISO for disc 3 downloaded fine, but 1 and 2 are giving me problems. I downloaded both of them the first time, and only got around 130 megs before it told me that the download had finished. The second time I did it I got around 400 megs. I'm working on it again. I'll let you all know how it goes once it's finished. I've used some RH 7.3, and Slackware-live before, so I'm quite excited about getting Fedora on my computer.

Ofcourse I'm a "n00b," so I'll probably be back at this site quite often. Once again, thanks for the help.

Linux Newbie
    I got fedora to work!! I tried to install mplayer, but it said that I didn't have CC, or something like that. And also, what is the third disc supposed to be used for. (sorry for my ignorance) Could anyone perhaps point me to a site where I could learn the basics of linux, and fedora. I think I'll pick up a book as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

Check out our tutorials section for starters:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

That should give you all the information/links that you need.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    I got it working!!! Thanks for the help.