Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a central installation server and I would like to keep the Redhat/Fedora distro's it serves up to date. Is there a way to keep the RPM directories up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to keeping an Installation server up to date

I have a central installation server and I would like to keep the Redhat/Fedora distro's it serves up to date. Is there a way to keep the RPM directories up to date with respect to the service patches which are released?

For instance, I would rather not have to install the base distro and then have to run yum update or have to run up2date (as the case maybe) in order to update the installation to the current patch levels. It would be easier to just have the central repository up to date and install from there.

Does anyone have a good way of doing this?

Linux Newbie
    contact one of the bigger mirrors out there for your distro, and ask them if you can rsync to their servers (be nice and offer to only check once a day or 3 times a week or something) and host your own sync'ed local mirror. Then you can just locally pull stuff off your own system resources as you see fit. Might take some social engineering, but if you can pull it off if you tell them how it might lessen your net work overhead...by doing one pulldown a week rather than 25 or 50 systems each all the time
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines