Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
O.K I need some one to break this down for me see I'm going for a dual boot on Windows XP and Ubuntu. Now I did research but there are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dual booting

O.K I need some one to break this down for me see I'm going for a dual boot on Windows XP and Ubuntu. Now I did research but there are somethings I don't totally understend.

My first question is can you dual boot on a RAID 0 with partion?

My second question in the MBR (master boot record) and GRUB (boot loader) I don't understand how they'll help me choose from Linux to Windows XP?

Please could you help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Company2
    My first question is can you dual boot on a RAID 0 with partion?
    This will be possible, but only if the RAID is a hardware RAID. Software RAID will not work -- as I learnt the hard way

My second question in the MBR (master boot record) and GRUB (boot loader) I don't understand how they'll help me choose from Linux to Windows XP?
    The MBR is the first place the computer looks to find an operating system. In your case, you'll install Grub there, so this is what the computer will find on boot-up. Grub will then present you with a menu listing your operating systems, and asking you which one you want to boot. After you make your choice, Grub tells the computer where the operating system you want to use is located, and the computer will start booting that.

Understand?

Ubuntu should take care of all this during installation. Just make sure not to overwrite XP during the linux install, and make sure you choose to install grub on the MBR.

Good luck!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

OK then my next question is where is GRUB and where is the MBR so that I can install the program. Also after installation will GRUB SEE find all of my OS.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    where is GRUB and where is the MBR so that I can install the program
    Master Boot Record is first sector of Harddisk and it stores Boot Loader, Partition Table and Harddisk Signature. Ubuntu Desktop CD wont ask you for the Location of GRUB. it will install GRUB ( boot loader ) in MBR only.
    Also after installation will GRUB SEE find all of my OS.
    i am not sure that Dual Boot will work with RAID or not.
    check smolloy's reply in this matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    This will be possible, but only if the RAID is a hardware RAID. Software RAID will not work -- as I learnt the hard way

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I installed ubuntu for the first time yesterday, and it is the most painless linux install I have ever experienced. It is smart enough to do everything for you, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. It will detect windows, configure Grub, and install it in the right place.

The only negative is that you must be sure that you have a hardware RAID. In other words, you didn't have to install any drivers to make it work on windows. If you did, then you have software RAID, which won't work on linux.

For RAID to work on linux, it must be completely transparent to the OS. That is, the OS must think it is looking at a regular hard disk, instead of an array.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

OK then I have a hardware RAID because I have to set it up before installing the operating system. Now for my second question how do I install GRUB and how do I know when I reformat all drives that it will still be there so I can configure Ubuntu and Windows XP?

as i mentioned earlier, if your installing through Ubuntu Desktop CD, installer *wont* give any option for GRUB location and it will install it in MBR of Primary Master Harddisk.

Casper

So do you install GRUB after the installation of both operating systems or before the I reformat the drives and redo everything?

first of all, Install Windows. create Free Space for Linux and install Ubuntu in Free Space. installer will recognize WIndows, install GRUB and set up dual boot for you.

Casper

Okay then so you mean that Ubuntu already has GRUB in its installation or when I install XP install GRUB and then install Ubuntu.

(sorry if I'm a little slow it can take me some time to learn things).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast