Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I guess I will ask the question more directly. Can I use the standard GUI diskadministration in XP (called this "NATIVE" ) to make the new space into a F:drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I guess I will ask the question more directly.

Can I use the standard GUI diskadministration in XP (called this "NATIVE" ) to make the new space into a F:drive or must I use PM if I do it under windows or Gparted if I do it under Linux

I.e can I use "NATIVE" or am I missing something?

thanks in advance

Windows Native Disk Management Tool (diskmgmt.msc) doesn't support partition resizing. you can delete and create partitions only. you have to use third party Partition Manager to resize partitions.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    the partition was already resized by gparted-see earlier. The Windows tool sees there is some free space and offers me the chance to create a new logical drive when I select it in the display. Which is all very tempting only I do not want to click/go ahead until i know the consequences.

In my ignorance I think I have re-sized the partition, now I need to turn the empty space into a windows logical disk- correct?

In my ignorance I think I have re-sized the partition, now I need to turn the empty space into a windows logical disk- correct?
    yes. create logical partition OR if free space is adjacent to Windows Partitions, merge it through Partition Magic.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Windows supports only MS partition type fat16, fat32 and ntfs mainly. You can use disk management to do whatever you want with the Windows partitions but they are no good in Linux.

Gparted supports 3 to 4 times more filing systems (abilty to format them) and every Linux can create over 100+ partition types and able to recognise them. Thus I wouldn't rely on Windows partitioning tools or its 3rd party software that installed inside Windows if I intend to cross different platforms.

In my experience the Linux's fdisk and cfdisk are the best partitioning tools. Gparted always make you format the partitions but fdisk and cfdisk do not do such thing.

The partition creation and file system formatting should be two distinct operations.

If I know anything about partitioning then I was taught by cfdisk and fdisk, which are the most flexible and most powerful. As an example if you make a ntfs partition (Type ID 7) thinking Linux will use it but find out it doesn't you can use cfdisk to change the partition type to ID 83 and Linux will prceed to format it and use it for installation. cfdisk is also one of the main tools with which you can hide partitions. You can therefore install several Windows in the same hard disk and only unhide the one you wish to boot.

If you ever have a dying hard disk or a corrupted partition table that is rejected by other operating systems the fdisk is you last line of defence. It will read bad disks that other would not touch and as such you can do repair and rescue the disk to recover your valuable data inside.

Just Joined!
    Oh Joy oh pain

I used the windows tool(as above) to make a new drive F: . All "okay" , then rebooted.

Oh bugger! now grub command line appears where it used to give me a menu to select which opsy to boot - did not expect anythinng to happen to booting but obviously has.

Is there a way to correct this - I know zilch about GRUB other than what it is basically for - do not want to mess things up.

Be gratful for advice.

Linux Newbie
    Just boot to XP installation CD, select Repair for recovery console and type
    Code:
    fixmbr
    You have used XP disk management to format a Linux partition thereby destroying the home for Grub. If Grub loses its home and has no files available it can't boot. Right?

So you can restore XP's MBR and work with XP from now on.

Nothing has happened to your XP. It can only be messed up by you if you format its partition like you have done so with the Linux.

Just Joined!
    "You have used XP disk management to format a Linux partition thereby destroying the home for Grub. If Grub loses its home and has no files available it can't boot. Right?"

I never touched it judge

Thanks for your answer. Will do that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2