Find the answer to your Linux question:
I posted this in the Red hat / fedora forum but I have a feeling it may have been in the wrong one, so here goes again: Ok I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot issues

I posted this in the Red hat / fedora forum but I have a feeling it may have been in the wrong one, so here goes again:

Ok I have Windows XP installed on the main HD of my computer, and have also installed Fedora core 6 onto an external HD. Because this isn't the default drive, it automatically boots into windows. I've been trying to configure wingrub to dual boot however I can't get linux to load properly.

I get both an option for windows and for grub (as expected), however within grub when I try and load linux I get a message telling me I have the wrong type of file system. Or something like that. Basically I have a feeling this is because I haven't got the correct instructions in grub to load fedora, at the minute I have:

root (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1

I assume this is incorrect? If so, what should I put instead? Thanks for your help.

where did you install GRUB? does BIOS support booting up from External HD?
    I get both an option for windows and for grub (as expected), however within grub when I try and load linux I get a message telling me I have the wrong type of file system. Or something like that. Basically I have a feeling this is because I haven't got the correct instructions in grub to load fedora, at the minute I have:
    root (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1
    I assume this is incorrect? If so, what should I put instead?
    you wrote that machine automatically boots up Windows. when and how do you get GRUB menu?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Sorry when I said it automatically boots into windows I meant that it did before I installed grub. Now I get a choice of either windows or grub, and then in grub I have two options, one loads windows and the other should load linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    okk !
    root (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1
    does GRUB display those line on selection Fedora Title?

boot up from Fedora Installation CD/DVD and type 'linux rescue' at boot: prompt. hit Enter key. this will drop you at Shell prompt.
    execute this
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    fdisk -l
    less /boot/grub/grub.conf
    less /boot/grub/device.map
    post output here.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi, don't worry about this now. I overcame the problem by installing on a partition of the main drive. Thanks anyway.