Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I have upgraded my CPU, and tried to install Red hat9 on it. But it displayed me a message the the hard drives could not be deteted and installation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hard disk not detected

Hello

I have upgraded my CPU, and tried to install Red hat9 on it. But it displayed me a message the the hard drives could not be deteted and installation can not be continued.

I even tried with FC3 , but it got stuck in a more recent stage detecting APCI and PCI Bus 0 and did not moved further.
    Same was the case with ubuntu.

My configuration is as under.

Hard Drive:Hitachi HDS721616PLA380
    Motherboard :Intel D946GZIS with Pentium D processor

Shud I download the new version of Linux?
    I was able to install both red hat and fedora on my earlier configuration but not able to ..now
    Pls help

Linux Newbie
    Well you did't tell us that you have switched from a Pata disk to a Sata disk but we still tell you that older distros like RH9 and FC3 donot support Sata.

Try FC6 as I got it inside a Sata.

Just Joined!
    i dont get you.....
    I have a pata disk.......so does that mean FC6 will also be of no use?

Linux Newbie
    According to the Internet information your disk "Hitachi HDS721616PLA380" is a 160Gb Sata.

RH9 and FC3 will not recognise it.

If you have a Pata too then both distros can see the Pata, but you have already confirmed having been able to install distros into the old disk.

So which part you doesn't get?

Just Joined!
    this one is also availabe as pata..the one i am having

initially i was not having a pata disk.....when both distros cud b successfully installed on to my comp.

I have changed my HD too while upgrading...and now i have one single 160 Gb pata disk.... so what do u suggest now...as it cud not detect my Hitachi pata disk

Linux Newbie
    You have to come clean on this one because you put the disk in right? Nobody know better than you.

You must know that the new 160Gb disk is a Pata or a Sata because you bought it yourself.

The Internet information seems to suggest it is a Sata but you keep saying it is a Pata.

Did you use the same ribbon cable to connect the current disk?

Just Joined!
    yeah sorry... u r right...i have chkd ..i have sata .

SO u think...i shud dwnld FC6

Linux Newbie
    It is your personal choice.

Most recent distros can be installed and booted from a Sata.

You are playing with RH9 which is the last free Red Hat available. Fedora succeds Red Hat and is now version 6 but you are still hanging on to FC3. I believe you can get RH9 and FC3 to recognise Sata if you are prepared to compile a new kernel with the Sata support built into it. For my money I find it more expedient to work with a more mordern distro because there are other hardware issues too.