Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a laptop that ran windows xp and fedora linux. grub is installed by default. yesterday, i came up with low space in C: and then i thought since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub error

i have a laptop that ran windows xp and fedora linux. grub is installed by default.

yesterday, i came up with low space in C: and then i thought since i have other linux machine to try on, i could take off the linux partitions in my laptop. using partition magic, i deleted the two linux partitions which were there and distributed the free space over three windows partitions. the partition magic asked to restart and when i restarted, it started doing the actual deletion and space distribution. but after smoothly completing those operations, it restarted and the windows xp did not boot instead it comes with a black screen with just the word 'grub' on the top right corner.

any ideas, how to fix this. i am very much troubled because of this. thanks.

EDIT: fyi, my laptop does not have an in-built cd drive and i do not have external one as well but i have usb drives with me. i hope this helps.

does your lappy has Floppy Drive? could you pulg-in External CD Drive?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    it does not have a floppy drive and i do not have external cd rom with me.
    is there is anything that can be done through the network as i have direct access to internet connection through network cable. thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    i had one major breakthrough. i have made one usb disk bootable and i did put copy all the windows xp files into the same usb drive. but when i clicked, i386/winnt, it went to windows xp installation, it started inspecting computer and finally told me the following

windows xp requires a hard drive volume with at least 542 mega bytes of free disk space. Setup will use part of this space for storing temporary files during installation. the drive must be on a permanently attached local disk supported by windows xp, and must not be a compressed drive.

setup was unable to locate such a drive with the requried amount of free space.

set up cannot continue. press ENTER to exit.