Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I've recently acquired an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi which came stock with Windows Media Centre Edition. I have repartitioned my disk and backed up the PQSERVICE partiton, which contains ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer Aspire notebook with grub on MBR

Hello all,

I've recently acquired an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi which came stock with Windows Media Centre Edition. I have repartitioned my disk and backed up the
    PQSERVICE partiton, which contains various utilities and a D2D restore method for Windows, before removing it.

During the fedora install I decided installing grub on the mbr would be a good idea. Problem is Windows will no longer boot from grub, it basically
    blinks with the grub entries and goes straight back to the grub menu. My grub is configured correctly with the standard:
    Code:
    title Windows XP 
        rootnoverify (hd0,1) # yes this is where windows is 
        chainloader +1
    I have come to understand that Acer in it's infinite wisdom puts some kind of magical code in the mbr which relates to your windows licence and hd
    serial number. I have tried with both ntldr in PQSERVICES and the one in root of the windows partition. boot.ini is fine also containing the correct location for Windows.

Now, I can apparently resolve this by using the MBRwrWin.exe (PQSERVICES) utility which restores the Acer mbr to the disk and then using boot.ini to
    load linux...

But being the linux enthusiast that I am, I would much much much rather use grub.

Is there anyone that has resolved this before or has any other suggestions?

Thanks,

hi goltor,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

re-install GRUB. if it doesn't work, post the output of 'fdisk -l' command. you must be 'root' to execute it.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Upon advice, I've decided to just restore the Acer mbr and reinstall grub in the boot record of the first active partition (which is my /boot partition anyway and which I should have done in the first place).

Thanks anyway Casper.

Just Joined!
    You can try wingrub, that will leave your mbr intact and you will be able to boot to windoze. The partition at hd0,0 is a recovery partition for your windows install.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck2006
    You can try wingrub, that will leave your mbr intact and you will be able to boot to windoze. The partition at hd0,0 is a recovery partition for your windows install.

1. Why would i want to install wingrub? I have ALREADY installed linux and installed grub in the mbr. I could have installed it on the boot record of the first partition but I DIDN'T and hence THIS post.

2. Yes my hd0,0 USED to be a recovery partition but it is certainly not anymore. You will find that this information IS covered in my previous post along with A SOLUTION that I AM using.

Sorry about this post everyone except Duck2006, but people like you irritate me profusely by not even attempting to read the original OR follow up posts properly.

Just Joined!
    May be a solved tag to the threat may have showen that you were not still looking for a answer to your question.