Find the answer to your Linux question:
As the title suggests, my windows XP has finally stopped working. I get the nice bright blue "critical stop" screen saying there are corrupted registry files. I have lost my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

corrupted windows xp file, and 1 kubuntu CD!

As the title suggests, my windows XP has finally stopped working. I get the nice bright blue "critical stop" screen saying there are corrupted registry files. I have lost my XP cd and do not have a recovery disc, but I have a copy of Kubuntu I am using now (running off the CD). What I want to do is install kubuntu without loosing all my files from windows XP. Only problem is my hard drive is NTFS, and when I try to mount my hard drive in Kubuntu I get an error saying it cannot be mounted. At the very minimum I wanted to get all my pics and music burnt onto a CD in kubuntu, format the drive and install kubuntu...but the drive cant be mounted. I was looking around at dual partitions but it seems complicated..besides i dont want to keep windows, just want to get some files off of it. Any suggestions on getting my files?

BTW...the more I use kubutnu the more I realise linux is a better OS than windows. I may stick with it.

thanks in advance!

Post the output of "sudo fdisk -l".
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln