Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm planning to devote 20 GB to the two linuxes and the rest of the space will go to XP, as I'm still more inclined to use XP for my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

installing xp and mepis/kubuntu.. partition suggestions?

I'm planning to devote 20 GB to the two linuxes and the rest of the space will go to XP, as I'm still more inclined to use XP for my multimedia..

I'm still pretty new to linux, so what do you guys suggest by way of which partitions the two linuxes can share?
    I'm thinking 2 swaps at 2GB each, 4GB mepis root, 4GB kubuntu root, 8GB common home dir.. would that work fine with the two of them? Which should I install first? Should I have the entire 20GB be an extended partition divided into logical drives?

Cheers

1GB SWAP space is more than enough and you can share same SWAP space in both distros.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

You really don't need two swap partitions one should good.
    I would definitly install xp first then either use kubuntu or a systemrescuecd to do the rest of the partitions. Both have a graphical interface and are very easy to use.
    I think you are on the right track making an extended partiton and then your logical drives. A common or shared drive make it fat32.
    Check the documentation for partitioning here.
    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page or
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

If you need nay help let me know

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks for the advice.. I decide to go with openSUSE 10.2 and MEPIS 6.0..
    I've got the partitions laid out like this now:

sda:
    sda1 - Windows (primary)
    sda2 - (extended):
    ...sda5 - NTFS data
    ...sda6 - SWAP (2GB)
    ...sda7 - / (MEPIS)
    ...sda8 - / (SUSE)
    ...sda9 - /home

Now the problem is that MEPIS overwrote the MBR with its own GRUB and now SUSE is gone missing.. I was hoping there would be an easy way to modify this, the way YaST in SUSE allows, but no joy..

I am moving out of my house soon and I won't have an internet connection whatsoever so I would like to sort this out and have everything running smoothly by that time..
    I know there is lots of documentation about changing GRUB, but a lot of it is conflicting so if anyone could give me some simple instructions I would really appreciate that..
    I would ideally like to add openSUSE, failsafe openSUSE (with the default options that SUSE provides) and maybe a Floppy too..

Thanks again guys!

its easy to add entries of SuSe in Mepis GRUB. mount SuSe's root partition and open /boot/grub/menu.lst file. copy 'title, root, kernel and initrd' lines and paste in Mepis' /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks for the quick reply mate. Will try that when I get home.