Find the answer to your Linux question:
I plan to dual boot Linux Mint and Windows XP with three different partitions; one for XP, one for Mint, and one for storage that will be shared between the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sharing Partitions? /root help too please.

I plan to dual boot Linux Mint and Windows XP with three different partitions; one for XP, one for Mint, and one for storage that will be shared between the two. My question is, if I install programs like Firefox(both Linux and Windows versions) will I be able to seamlessly share bookmarks, RSS, and history between both Linux and Windows? I also plan on keeping the shared partition NTFS as Linux Mint allows mounting of that partition and I can get NTFS-Fuse.

Since Linux Mint is a variation of Ubuntu I am assuming that the default user is not root. Is there any advantage to using /root user if I am the only one that is going to use this computer?

If this is not going to work can anyone suggest a good partition setup? I plan on having 40GB for Windows, 15GB for shared, 1GB for swap, and 14GB for Linux.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanwar000
    Is there any advantage to using /root user if I am the only one that is going to use this computer?
    The real advantage lies in NOT doing that because it's a terribly hard habit to break once the habit is developed. It's definitely best to familiarize yourself with sudo and use it, or enable root account access and then su to root for any admin jobs. Once you've gotten in the habit of doing that, you don't even think about it as being an inconvenience.

oz
    oz