Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried to install Linux (Red Hat) previously on my old machine. Long story short --- it didn't work. I have a new machine that I built and would like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just getting started again

I tried to install Linux (Red Hat) previously on my old machine. Long story short --- it didn't work. I have a new machine that I built and would like to try again with Ubuntu. I recall in my experience with Red Hat that picking a place to install the bootloader and whether to use LILO or GRUB was a serious issue in that doing this incorrectly could hose my MBR and render me incapable of booting into Windows. Is this still a concern with Ubuntu? My situation is: I have a 200 GB hdd on which I have created 40 GB of unallocated space on which I would like to install Ubuntu. I have downloaded the 64 bit AMD distro. I have looked at a lot of info on dual booting, but most of it concerns situations not quite like mine. Any input would be appreciated. I would really rather not follow the advice I saw on the video with the two guys in a garage who said they would show me how set up a dual boot, but at the same time promised that my machine would get "seriously hosed". They were interesting people, and the video was entertaining, but I would like to do this without getting "seriously hosed".

oz
    forum.guy
    You may, or may not run into problems. Each person has their very own issues to deal with depending on their hardware, distribution chosen, and skill level. I've been installing GRUB to the MBR for over 4 years now and have never run into any problems doing so. Dual boot has always worked when I've chosen it, too.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I guess what I'm thinking also is that I would like to have the choice of boot from the Windows screen, rather than the Linux screen, just in case something goes haywire.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I wouldn't worry. If you install grub on the MBR and you don't like it (or it goes wrong), then boot from your windows installation disc, choose to "repair installation", and type "fixmbr" at the prompt. This will reinstall the windows bootloader to the proper place, and all will be fine.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Thanks, Ozar and Smolloy. I was thinking about the "fixmbr" route in Recovery Console just today, but wasn't sure if it would be guaranteed to do the trick. Then I remembered that nothing is guaranteed and relaxed. I guess I will go ahead and give it a shot. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by hansmax
    Thanks, Ozar and Smolloy. I was thinking about the "fixmbr" route in Recovery Console just today, but wasn't sure if it would be guaranteed to do the trick. Then I remembered that nothing is guaranteed and relaxed. I guess I will go ahead and give it a shot. Thanks for your input.
    As you say, nothing's guaranteed, but there's nothing really risky about this. Of course, having good backups (you do have good backups, don't you?) protects you from any serious ****-ups!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode