Find the answer to your Linux question:
Quick note - this is not a question, but something that I finally found the (or at least an) answer to and thought I'd share. No reply is needed, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

note about "Enabling Swap Space [OK]" installation

Quick note - this is not a question, but something that I finally found the (or at least an) answer to and thought I'd share. No reply is needed, but hey, if it sparks a discussion, no problem there either.

I was installing Redhat 9, and after installation was complete, on the first boot all was going fine until I got to

Enabling Swap Space [OK]

So it looked like that step went fine, but nothing printed to the screen after that. It just hung. I waited for like 30 minutes or more one time thinking maybe I was being impatient, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't going anywhere.

I did some google searches and found numerous reports of this, mostly with Redhat 7.x, with little to no conclusive suggestions.

It turned out in my case, I had created *too small* a swap file. I am installing on an old machine with only 128 MB RAM, and I'd seen places say that about 50% more swap than RAM is a good rule of thumb, so I used about 200 MB swap. I'm not sure if it was the enabling swap space was choking on this, or if it was actually the next step (INIT 5 - enter graphical login mode) that was choking because it didn't have enough memory or virtual memory to work with. I reinstalled and bumped my swap partition up to 360 MB and all went well.

Quote Originally Posted by harry349 View Post
    Quick note - this is not a question, but something that I finally found the (or at least an) answer to and thought I'd share. No reply is needed, but hey, if it sparks a discussion, no problem there either.

I was installing Redhat 9, and after installation was complete, on the first boot all was going fine until I got to

Enabling Swap Space [OK]

So it looked like that step went fine, but nothing printed to the screen after that. It just hung. I waited for like 30 minutes or more one time thinking maybe I was being impatient, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't going anywhere.

I did some google searches and found numerous reports of this, mostly with Redhat 7.x, with little to no conclusive suggestions.

It turned out in my case, I had created *too small* a swap file. I am installing on an old machine with only 128 MB RAM, and I'd seen places say that about 50% more swap than RAM is a good rule of thumb, so I used about 200 MB swap. I'm not sure if it was the enabling swap space was choking on this, or if it was actually the next step (INIT 5 - enter graphical login mode) that was choking because it didn't have enough memory or virtual memory to work with. I reinstalled and bumped my swap partition up to 360 MB and all went well.
    Hi Harry,

Well nice to feel after reading your article, well i am totally new in Linux well i can say i am still learning about this OS, but i came to know that if we have 128 MB of RAM then the SWAP partition should be double it means 2 x 128 = 256 MB. As you have mentioned you had used 200 MB Swap but it did not work out after you have increased the Swap size i.e 360 MB and it worked. So what i had heared was correct. The swap size should be double the ram (2 x ram size).

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by gkiran.linux View Post
    Hi Harry,

Well nice to feel after reading your article, well i am totally new in Linux well i can say i am still learning about this OS, but i came to know that if we have 128 MB of RAM then the SWAP partition should be double it means 2 x 128 = 256 MB. As you have mentioned you had used 200 MB Swap but it did not work out after you have increased the Swap size i.e 360 MB and it worked. So what i had heared was correct. The swap size should be double the ram (2 x ram size).

Thanks,
    Hi and Welcome !

This thread is around 4 years old. SWAP = 2x RAM is not correct now. It was correct a few years back when RAM was costly and most users had 126/256MB RAM only. 1GB RAM is common these days and If you have 512 MB or more RAM, there is no need to create more than 512MB SWAP space unless you are running Server and a lot of applications at any given time.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close